engine rebuilding ideas and suggestions

mattch2

Jan 20, 2003
Niagara Falls
came accross this special and at the current time im looking to drop a new motor into my 2000 saleen seeing as i snapped a rod and spun a bearing...

http://www.pmpparts.com/index.php?m...ee8cf1f9d69476a

If I was to go this route.. would anything have to be done to this block by any machine shop?...How much would i expect to pay to have rods pistons etc installed?... What parts can I use from my exisiting motor on this one?..Is this gonna end up costing me more $$$ in the long run...... I know your all going to say built shortblock but im just not sure how much longer I will have with this car so that really isint an option for me right now...

Any ideas, help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
sadwavey.gif

• Sponsors (?)

Hate to guess $$ , I would TRY to keep the original block in that car at all cost if it were me. When I did service calls in my working days I would joke; if you have a Mercedes you better put in the neighbors yard because the price will double/triple.

I priced this out a few months ago and the guy that does my engine work told me about 1500 not including the machine work that is needed on the block. He told me that it would be for me to buy a short block than to have him build me one. Basically everything bolts up to the block. All you need is new head gaskets and head studs and also oil pump. But to be honest with you a short block would be cheaper. I got my short block from VT for 4144 shipped with ARP Head studs and head gaskets.

Now think that a block is anywhere from $300-$1000 depending on what you get. Then the rotating assembly is $2000+ balanced and then you still need oil pump and the head studs and gaskets. So on parts alone you’re going to have $3000+. Now add $1500 for install and 500 for machine work. You’re at 5000 and that’s prolly as CHEAP as its going to get done. Throw in nicer pistons the price goes up. Also what if the rods and pistons were put in hair off or the machine shop didn’t hone the block just right. Something happens to your engine and now you don’t know who to go after. Where as if something happens I call up VT and we work it out.

Now I got my short block with everything in it for $4144 and my friend is installing it for $600 so I’m at about $4750. But I also get a blueprinted block and have professionals that have years of experience doing this, building my engine.