Engine Removal

I ran a search and looked through the tech sticky but couldnt really find what I was looking for. Does anybody happen to have a tech article for engine removal on a 94GT. I seemingly blew mine up today, so I figured a tech article might make the removal process of the motor a little more painless. Let me know what you got, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

hey man...before you go about pulling the engine, I'd go through and make sure it's not something stupid.

as for engine removal...it's fairly simple. Drain all fluids. Remove your power steering pulley and undo the brackets holding the a/c and powersteering pump. Hang that out the way. Undo the EGR stuff from the intake and undo the tube coming off the smog pump. take all your heater hoses and upper/lower radiator hoses off. Undo all your wiring connectors (take pics and or tag connectors. Bag and tag all bolts. From there you can undo your drive shaft (four 12 point 12 mm bolts - get an impact on these if you can). pull the shaft out. Take out the radiator (optional) and put a jack under the tailshaft of the tranny. hook up the cherry picker and get some tension on it. Remove the tranny mounting bolts and cross brace. remove engine mount bolts and clutch cable/dipstick. Remove the hood. Pull foward and work the engine/tranny out in one shot.

if you want you can separate the tranny and engine. When hooking up the cherry picker I prefer to do it on the heads where the lower intake bolts to. You can do it whichever way you prefer.

I'm sure I missed something...but that's the gist of it

Thanks for the input. By the way, I am sure that the motor is blown up. From underneath looking up you can see a giant hole in the timing cover where you can see the main bearing spun and the crank shifted about an inch to the front of the car. The timing chain is broken and laying in a ball, the crank pulley obviously shifted forward which snapped the serp belt and blew it out. Oh, and also the crank has a huge crack in it. I really blew it up good.

Thanks for the input. By the way, I am sure that the motor is blown up. From underneath looking up you can see a giant hole in the timing cover where you can see the main bearing spun and the crank shifted about an inch to the front of the car. The timing chain is broken and laying in a ball, the crank pulley obviously shifted forward which snapped the serp belt and blew it out. Oh, and also the crank has a huge crack in it. I really blew it up good.

Just so that I don't do the same, how did you manage that?

Not necessarily, though likely SOMEONE beat on that car, a previous owner? Could have been an oil problem starving the bearings and they failed.

James, sorry to hear you've toasted the motor. If you're going to try to re-use the block, be sure to have it checked over and magnafluxed by a reputable machine shop. Same with any part in the block you plan on re-using.

Think of this as a chance to build it better. :nice:

My favorite part about having to pull the engine is all the "may as well" upgrades while you're in there. Well since you've got it out, may as well put a cam in there. might as well get some heads. If youre gonna spend some cash on it, may as well have a good time in it when it goes back together.