Engine Squeeking

20stang00

Oct 7, 2003
Dayum...just yesterday, i started my car before i went to class. It started to squeek. It was louder than my exshaust system. I popped the hood open and i thought it was one of the pullies or the belt. I went to different auto shops here in Hawaii, and those Ba$+erds wont help me. They all asked for 100 dollors first. I need an estimate before i actually let them do the work. Going straight to the dealer is a pain because of 60 thousand mile service will run 500 dollors. After a few revs, the squeek goes away. Then sitting in idle, the squeek will once again appear. Anyone experienced this problem? i know its a little vegue, but try to help a brotha out. Im starting to hate FORDS. its a good company, but the reliability of their cars should be better.

• Sponsors (?)

I can think of a few things it might be...

How many miles are on your car? Over 50-60k might be your bearings...bad news.

do you have a stick or auto??? If it is a stick it might be that your throwout bearing needs to be lubed up...but in order to do that you have to drop your tranny, so while your at it do yourself a favor and replace your clutch with a king cobra clutch that will only cost you $25 more, and last longer and take more punishment then a stock V-6 unit ever could...

That is my$.02

oh and by the way...you would not have to worry so much about dependabilty if you got a v-8. No matter which motor you get, the 5.0 or 4.6 there are about 5-10 times as many parts out there for the 8 then there ever will be for the 6.

It's probably your throwout bearing.

Mine went out a few thousand miles ago, and I'm finally getting around to replacing it. While I'm down there, I bought a new SPEC clutch ... flywheel and driveshaft ...

The throwout bearing is a $30 part ...

Tylerb59 said:
It's probably your throwout bearing.

Mine went out a few thousand miles ago, and I'm finally getting around to replacing it. While I'm down there, I bought a new SPEC clutch ... flywheel and driveshaft ...

The throwout bearing is a $30 part ...
how hard is it to replace (the throwout bearing?) ..a mechanic friend of mind said it could be my idle bearing going cold...it really sounded like it was coming from the idler..Well yeah..i have a 65 thousand mile 00 mustang.. i want to find out whats wrong it the car myself instead of going to ford because they charge an arm and a leg..any other info would help..thanks 95.0Stang and Tylerb59

Couple hours to drop the transmission, swap the bearings then put everything back together.

Really, at your mileage it'd be a smart thing to look into replacing the clutch ... maybe even the flywheel .... before it starts slipping and you have to go down there again.

I've done all the work on the car myself ... and that's is what makes owning this car fun ... And you learn a bit in the process too. Go buy a Haynes repair manual, and it'll show you how and what you need to do.

No sense in needing to pay someone else to do things for you ... no fun in that, plus you're down a few extra hundred dollars.

98CobraClone said:
doesn't the throwout bearing usually only squeek when your foot is off of the clutch?

Yes.

It'll squeak at different intensities based on how high your RPMS. About midway you can't hear it over the engine, but it's similar to water boiling or a loose fan belt.

If you engage the clutch (press it in) the sound will go away. That's what I've had to do when passing large packs of people in a parking lot.

hehe.

i already changed the drivebelt..no luck in that...when it starts to squeek, i tried pressing the clutch in it didnt work. i revved it a few times till it went away. Clutch is still pretty good..grabs..does anyone else here think its the idler bearing?

You should be able to stand in front of the car while it is "sqeeking" and tell if it is in the front of the engine or inside. My guess is it is in the belt path, belt or pulleys.

Take some windex and spray the belt while it is squeeking. If it goes away, it is the belt. You can get some spray lithium grease or silicone based oil and spray into the bearing area of the tensioner to test them.

Hey, I had a problem like that on my car and it was the tension idler pulley. I got some wd40 and sprayed it behind where the bearings are and solved my problem. I lasted a week trying to solve it. My squeek was fairly loud and sometimes there sometimes it went away. Hope you get it fix.

Listen chances are it is your idler pulley. If I were you to save you the time and the money i would go up to your local auto parts store and buy an idler pulley and replace it. It costs about $14.00 and takes about 5 mins to change. after about 60,000 miles the bearing in the center of that pulley starts to wear down and the best thing to do is just replace it. So get out there and replace it and I bet that pesky squeeking will be gone.