engine swap 01 GT

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
Found a 2001 GT on craigslist. The guy is asking $2,000 OBO. Car has a blown engine after overheating. 115,000 on chasis and drivetrain.

I have found on CL an 03 mustang 4.6L for $1450, and a "4.6L R code" for $975.

Good deal? Too much work?

Any major engine compatability issues I need to be aware of?

fwiw, I have never worked on the 4.6L. But I am capable on the mechanical side of things. I have the space, money, time. etc.

I will be replacing my DD fox vert.

• Sponsors (?)

Found a 2001 GT on craigslist. The guy is asking $2,000 OBO. Car has a blown engine after overheating. 115,000 on chasis and drivetrain.

I have found on CL an 03 mustang 4.6L for $1450, and a "4.6L R code" for $975.

Good deal? Too much work?

Any major engine compatability issues I need to be aware of?

fwiw, I have never worked on the 4.6L. But I am capable on the mechanical side of things. I have the space, money, time. etc.

I will be replacing my DD fox vert.

2000 sounds like a steel for that. kelly blue book averages 4-6k depending on location and engine mileage. For 3k you can get a good built bottom end and install it your self. For 5k you can have heads and cams as well. Then you'd have a fully built mustang for 7k which is one hell of a deal.

Or if your not into all that you can buy a mach1 engine which sell for 2-4k depending on mileage and do an engine swap. I'd say build the say first start with just a bottom end if that's all you can afford then do heads, cams and throw on a supercharger. Then you'll be at 500+hp instantly.

Just make sure the transmission still works, it would suck if it needs a rebuild. I have no idea how to test it or know if there is a way to test it, I guess its a gamble on that. Either way, Ive seen used ones for less than $400 on craigslist or ebay.

4.6's are easy to work on. Similar to a 5.0. Just rebuilding the pistons and so on is different. If you go to http://www.modularmustangracing.com/ you can buy a completely built bottom end saving you the headache and trouble of doing it wrong. Comes with warranty. Everything else if you've done on a 5.0 shouldnt be hard at all for you.

I would definitely get it. You can find a fully built PI engine for less then $1,000. I've even seen folks sell the engine and trans for around $1,000 to $1,500. Or you can get a 4.6 short block and swap over the top end parts for even less. Heck I bought the 4.6 that's currently in my 03 GT for $500 plus I threw in some stuff I had sitting around. Check the forums and EBAY and you can find or make some killer deals. The trans is probably still good if the car just has a blown head gasket or something but that's a roll of the dice...

Try car-part.com (search salvage yards). I found the 2004 Crown Vic Romeo motor with 35k miles for $800 that way.

That motor now rests between the frame rails of my 2000 GT. 15K miles since install. Runs great.

Try car-part.com (search salvage yards). I found the 2004 Crown Vic Romeo motor with 35k miles for $800 that way.

That motor now rests between the frame rails of my 2000 GT. 15K miles since rebuild.

this man speaks the truth. Car-part.com is a great website. There are a handful of aluminum PI explorer engines, crown vic PI engines, etc... in my area with under 100K selling for under $1,000.