Engine Swap 3.8 to 4.6

red4.6

Nov 7, 2005
My 3.8 95 mustang threw a rod threw the block and therefor need a new motor. V-6's are hard to come by in my area, however I have found several 4.6's. Will these fit in my 3.8, the 4.6 comes with ECU, wiring harness, motor mounts, and the motor. How much trouble is it to switch motors like that and is there any other parts that I'm going to need.

• Sponsors (?)

red4.6 said:
My 3.8 95 mustang threw a rod threw the block and therefor need a new motor. V-6's are hard to come by in my area, however I have found several 4.6's. Will these fit in my 3.8, the 4.6 comes with ECU, wiring harness, motor mounts, and the motor. How much trouble is it to switch motors like that and is there any other parts that I'm going to need.
way too much stuff to be an easy budget project.

it will cost atleast $3000 to do the conversion, and you will have to tell your insurance company about the V8 or it is insurance fraud

for alot less money you can get a good used 3.8 from www.stangparts.com and have it shipped to your door for far less (about $550-$800). click on their product inventory section for the engines. if you would want to stay single port the i suggest a 97-98 engine or splitport and 99+ engine. also you could swap in any 97+ 4.2L F-150 truck engine. it is very torquey and will make a nice improvement. the only thing you would need is a modified fuel rail and computer,MAF

you can also get a fully built 3.8 or 4.2 shortblock or longblock with forged rods/pistons and your choice of cam from www.rpm-mustangs.com

you can use your heads and intakes on a 4.2 or 3.8 splitport block so you have alot of possibilities

If I were doing an engine swap into a 95, I would personally go with a 302/351.

I'm currently building a 408 for my car. I'm taking a block I picked up from a JY to a machine shop tomorrow to have it check out and cleaned up if it isn't cracked.

It's all in how much you want to do and how much money you're willing to spend. V6 to V8 Engine swaps = $$$.

If money is an issue, I would do what cobra232 suggested, or if you just want to make power with a 6.

You will need: Tons of time, lots of space, access to extremly cheap parts (like a complete parts car) more car knowlege than the average gear head, a car to drive in your spare time, tons of tools, and a lot of patience. And if you are going to pay someone, you will spend TONS more than if you would have just bought a used GT in the first place.

Much more goes into this than appears on the surface. Don't forget about that stock v6 drivetrain either.

Don't do it!