Engine Swap Advice Please

WABWare

Dec 28, 2003
Alright guys I have a 99 cobra. Now as much as I love the hp my
4.6 DOHC makes. I'm tired of everyone running superchargers. Super
chargers were once a unique and rare thing to see. Now it's like everyone has got them. Plus I lean more toward the old school
muscle cars basically big engines. So I wanted to bring back
the BB in my car. I wanted to put the "super cobra jet" 460 in the car.
I'm sure it will fit. I know the 351 will fit because of the 95 cobra r
but also of the 10.0 Boss Concept. Also found out the 460 would be easier to find a fuel injection kit for instead of the 351c. So basically I want the grunt and power of the old muscle cobra jet cars in my new cobra. Kind of like the 380 hp and 600 hp zl1 super camaro from the dick berger dealership. So I want to create a streetable super stang. I know lots of mods new rear end, suspension tranny new deck clearance . Mainly just worried about cab space. Can I get a 460 inside my 99 cobra. Any ideas comments criticism would greatly be appreciated

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Have you seen what a 4.6 looks like cramed inside an 99+ stang. Just imagine a 460. I think you have to trim the strut towers and mabey push the firewall back a little. Not to mention you have to pull the motor to change spark plugs.

the 10 liter boss is essentially a stroked and poked 460 wearing boss 429 heads.

It will fit, but the best source of information will be SVT because they made the boss.

It will be a pain in the rear to get it in there and the hood will block 1/2 the windsheild (well, maybe only 1/4).

this sounds like a project that will be under a pile of trash in your garage ten years from now, but some people can make it happen.

Any one undertaking this type of project has to have deep pockets. It takes a lot of money. If you have what it takes, why don't you buy a v-6 or GT for this project, that would be a lot better than destroying a cobra.

Of course, the fewer origional cobra's there are, the more mine will be worth, so go ahead.

Yes, a 460 will fit in your Cobra. They have bolt-in kits for 385 series engines to go into Fox chassis cars. I know the '94+ cars arent referred to as Fox3s, but the engine bay hasnt changed much since 1978.

Chetly said:
Have you seen what a 4.6 looks like cramed inside an 99+ stang. Just imagine a 460. I think you have to trim the strut towers and mabey push the firewall back a little.

Have you seen how big a 4.6 DOHC is? It has almost the same external dimensions as a 460. Besides, a 460 fits in a Fox3 without much, if any cutting.

Heres a 4.6 Cobra engine next to a 302 and they both fit in a Mustang engine bay.