engine swap info

96 GT JOE

Sep 30, 2004
guys i have a 5 spd 96 GT with 120,xxx miles on it. I want to swap in a 99-04 p.i. motor with low miles (20-50k) but i need to know what all is involved.

i need to know if i can use the coil packs, wiring harness, and ecu from my npi motor.

what about my t-45? will it bolt right up. do i need to change flywheels?

i just need some tech help! thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I found a head swap kit on ebay for 96-98's for about $1400 shipped. brand new complete PI heads, and it comes with the upper intake you will need, as well as all the gaskets and every last thing you need to do the swap.

just another option, do a search and you'll find it

I completed this swap recently myself, yes you can reuse your coil packs, they will work just fine. The major things involved in this swap are as follows:
You will need to use the 96's oil pan, it has a sensor that screws into it that a PI engine doesnt have. You will also need to drill and tap the PI intake to make room for a sensor that the 96 has and the PI once again doesnt have. You will need to re-use your front cover off the 96 to be able to bolt up your coil packs and their brackets, the PI engine has a belt tensioner in the way of the coil pack brackets. You can and will reuse your ecu, but i reccommend buying a flash tuner and having a tune put on it for you. There is one other connector that is a little different then the PI motors but I cant remember what it is off the top of my head. Essentially you end up reusing all your old wiring and nothing off of the PI engines harness (if you even get the PI harness). Yes your old T45 will bolt up to the PI engine with no problem provided you use a flywheel and clutch made for the T45 and not the 3650, if you have any questions about this feel free to let me know, like I said I just completed the swap.

Well I did a little bit more then just a PI engine swap, I installed forged internals in mine for later on down the road when I can afford to go the forced induction route, the swap itself can easily be done in a weekend, like I mentioned before its a fairly straightforward swap the only things i forgot to mention was you reuse your old fuel rails and valve covers, there is a sensor on the NPI valve covers that isnt on the PI, basically you end up swapping everything on top of the intake onto the PI engine. If you decide to do the swap I can get you a little better description of some of the things you need to change like the drilling and tapping size for the intake. I was just talking about getting a handheld tuner like a SCT Xcalibrator II or a Diablo Predator. I ordered mine through MPH and it was $400 with a custom tune for my car. The car feels much stronger and is a lot more fun to drive.

Ok heres how it goes.

Coil packs and brackets will bolt directly to your new PI engine. and will work perfectly.

The oil cooler SENSOR will need to be swapped because the connector on there is different. Very easy to do. Channel lock pliers work great.

The fuel rails will need to be swapped. You will need to use your 96 rails

If you do not have a NON PI intake manifold with an aluminum crossover, chances are your PI engine does. You can either tap this for your second sensor, or get the neccesary plumbing pipe to make a "T" to use both of the sensors on your intake. Or goto ford and order an "updated" 96-98 mustang coolant crossover tube". And bolt it on with the 2 bolts from the PI manifold.

Your 96 alternator will work on the new engine but you may not be able to use the PI alternator bracket or your 96 bracket. It will work without it, untill you can make one out of some steel.

That should be all, email me with any more questions about it. I've done numerous swaps on mustangs.