Engine Swap

saleen137

Nov 11, 2003
Bellflower
This is going to get very complicated but please be patient with me.

I have a 2000 Saleen and recently purchased a 99 Mustang GT. The GT will need a new motor since it crapped out on me about 2 months ago. The Saleen remains NA and I'm planning to take out the motor and drop it into the GT. At this moment I will be purchasing a new motor for the Saleen and was thinking of getting the 2003 MUSTANG MACH1 4.6L DOHC 4V motor. I can get it for 6k even and have a little more power and start building from there. Now my questions is whether this will be possible. I know money is a great factor whether I can make this work, but in honest opinion I'd like to hear some suggestions. Maybe you can give me an Idea as to whether purchase a different motor, or better yet give me some insight into what motor you or others have purchased or built. Installing the Mach1 4v motor what problems do you think I'd run into? Any help or discussion would be greatly appreciated:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I dunno what your thoughts on this are, but I pesonally would drop the Mach engine in the GT, and leave the Saleen alone.

Saleen's are pretty rare cars, id hesitate to tear it apart and throw a different engine in there. GT's are everywhere, and not really too special... perfect project car, lol.

BurningRubber said:
I dunno what your thoughts on this are, but I pesonally would drop the Mach engine in the GT, and leave the Saleen alone.

Saleen's are pretty rare cars, id hesitate to tear it apart and throw a different engine in there. GT's are everywhere, and not really too special... perfect project car, lol.

Thanks for the comment. The reason being is that I'd like to drop the Mach engine into the saleen because It's the saleen that I plan on building more than the GT. I know it would seem more reasonable to just drop the engine into the GT since the GT is the one that needs the motor. The Saleen motor only has 38k miles on it and since I figured I wanted to get a new engine for the Saleen anyway I thought this would be the perfect time to do so.

BurningRubber said:

+1, I would put the 4V into the GT and leave the Saleen alone.

I see no problem putting the saleen motor in the GT and upgrading the saleen.You already have 38k on the saleen and they made too many to make them a collectors car.If you want to build the saleen I would start with a forged motor from a reputable company and go from there.I don't think I would go through the hassle of swapping to a 4v since these 2v can make some serious power.

saleen556 said:
I see no problem putting the saleen motor in the GT and upgrading the saleen.You already have 38k on the saleen and they made too many to make them a collectors car.If you want to build the saleen I would start with a forged motor from a reputable company and go from there.I don't think I would go through the hassle of swapping to a 4v since these 2v can make some serious power.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of strating of with a forged block maybe from Ford Racing but I'm not sure at the moment. I know the swapping for a 4v will have it's challenges but I was wondering what is it that I would run into?

saleen556 said:
After my last experience with ford I wouldn't consider them for changing a headlight.Give VT or MPH a call and they will give you a product and customer service that we all deserve.

I must agree with you. Dumb Tech + Lightning (low on oil)= :owned: The tech forgot to fill up the lightning up with oil. Then they tried to blame it on me like any other Ford dealership does. Thanks for the advise though. I'm going to check out VT and MPH and see what I can come up with.

If anyone can let me know or at least direct me in the right path as to where I would run into problems swapping a 2v for a 4v. Thanks

DropTopPony said:
For $6000 dollars you can probably find a 03-04 Cobra Motor already forged and Supercharged...thats just alittle better then a Mach1 crate engine :)

I was looking into that too. I don't see that many Cobra motors for sale though or maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I know Ebay but sometimes I'm a little skeptical. I'm sure if I was to find one I would go that route. That would be a dream come true. It's still going to take me sometime to save the money. Mortgage + bills + car payment is owning me right now. I just want to see what options I might have and which route people have gone.

saleen556 said:
I may be wrong but I thought the stock 03-04 cobra motors were not all that reliable over the 500-550 rwhp mark.I thought they made the tolerance to tight for the pistons to prevent slap.

I dunno man, there are many people pushing well over 500 hp on their stock engines. I personally know of two, one is around 520rwhp and the other is right under 600rwhp with no issues at all.

saleen556 said:
I may be wrong but I thought the stock 03-04 cobra motors were not all that reliable over the 500-550 rwhp mark.I thought they made the tolerance to tight for the pistons to prevent slap.
most of the guys who swap to KB and whipple blowers are running like 600-650rwhp. I have seed dyno's posted with over 900rwhp on the stock shortblock....i personally would upgrade to billit with that much power but the stock shortblock can handle 600 rwhp with ease.