engine swap?

ok so i was pricing forced induction and came up with what seems like a great idea at the surface but have this bad feeling it is a bad one anyways here it goes...

So I priced used 4.6L engines and Transmissions it seems like going this route would be cheaper. im sure other things would have to be replaced as well such as radiator, drive shaft, possibly the ECU..if i cant be reprogramed.. unsure about all those as im nothing close to a machanic.... so what do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm guessing you have a V6 if that's the case then you need....

GT: Engine + tranny (that includes cooling, ignition, ECU, engine wiring harness, instrument cluster), exhaust, driveshaft, rear differential/axle, brakes, wheels.

You'd be much better off trading in your car and getting a GT instead they can be had for relatively cheap these days depending on what year etc.

I'm sorry to say but this type of transfer is way too involved these days. In the old days with carburators you had to make sure only a few electrical pieces were hooked up right. Now with 100's of sensors it is just about a nightmare to swap things out, certainly not impossible but a heck of a lot more expensive.

I'm hoping and praying like you wouldn't believe that the new DOHC 5.0L is a near direct swap because that's what i'd like to see under the hood of my car.

ok so i was pricing forced induction and came up with what seems like a great idea at the surface but have this bad feeling it is a bad one anyways here it goes...

So I priced used 4.6L engines and Transmissions it seems like going this route would be cheaper. im sure other things would have to be replaced as well such as radiator, drive shaft, possibly the ECU..if i cant be reprogramed.. unsure about all those as im nothing close to a machanic.... so what do you all think?

it would be cheapest and easiest to trade your sixer in for a GT. But I'm sure you've heard that a million times. It will take a ceratin amount of skill, some engineering knowledge and a bunch of software knowledge to make this swap. It can be done, it's been done. But if you're thinking Friday afternoon you pull the hood and by Sunday afternoon you're cruisinig in a V8 that aint gonna happen. You'll have to swap in the entire engine computer along with the trans, radiator, driveshaft, rear end and whatever other bits may or may not fit. It will be a gigantic job, even for an experienced mechanic. This isn't like in 66 where you could buy a 6 cylinder Mustang and swap out the engine, trans, rear end and wheel hubs in a couple days.

Go with the F/I, it will cost you far less and be way less head-aches. Then you'll have a sweet ride with 200 lbs less on the nose and a stealth factor.

+1 the V6 is lighter then the GT and with a S/C or better a Turbo you could probably get the thing going nicely. See Shelby's CS/6 or the Terlinguas.

I know Mustang = V8 but here's food for thought.

The current 4.0L V6 is based on the Cologne layout which has been around since the 70's. In Europe that thing was used and developed extensively by tuners such as Zakspeed and companies like Cosworth. You have to imagine that in race trim those things had a destroke to about 3.4L spun to past 9K rpm in N/A trim and pushed out 400HP or more.

It's all about the heritage man.