Engine wont start after MAF Conv

dreidaz

Dec 13, 2003
Help please... I just converted my 86GT to MAF with the FMS Cobra kit (used) along with new Edel Perf manifold and TB. Engine fires for 1-2 seconds then dies. I triple-checked all my wiring changes from installtion guide. No EEC trbl codes. I'm a little confused about VSS. My car does not have cruis control so I added VSS at end of speedo and connected those wires to ECU. I can plug my old SD ECU back into harness and engine runs but idles at 1800rpm and continuous smoke (probably rich from 24lb inj)

• Sponsors (?)

You never mentioned if you move a bunch of wires on the main harness, or if you replaced or unplugged the vacuum line from the MAP sensor to make it become a BAP sensor....that was my problem, car wouldn't run withthe vacuum line plugged in

I purchased a new Cobra ECM and MAF and still have the same problem. Engine won't run. It will run with the old ECM (Speed Density) I have determined that the problem is related to fuel supply or fuel delivery. The engine will run briefly with the Cobra ECM if I spray starting fluid in the TB. It seems odd that the engine would run on the old ECM and the 24lb injectors yet the Cobra ECM setup with the 24lb injectors does not even supply enough fuel to keep the engine running. I'm going to replace my fuel pump, regulator, and filter. Am I chasing the wrong thing? Anyone else run across this problem?

What about the FPR? Is it the stock one? you can't go wrong with an adjutable one.

Did you triple check all the wires when you did the MAF conversion? it's not as simple as adding the maf harness, you also need ot move some wires, and add others....

I'm replacing regulator tomorrow. I've checked all wiring and connections about 10 times. I used the Thunderbolt Motorsport Wiring Harness and conversion kit to move and add the necessary wires.