Epoxy for filling ports

ddonaca351

Dec 1, 2002
Camas Washington
I have seen epoxy used for manifolds before, but didnt think it would live in the heat of a cyl-head... but the other day I saw some ports that had been partially filled, and they looked real good. (engine masters challange)

Anybody have experience with an epoxy or product will live inside the port?

Thanks for the help,
Dave-

• Sponsors (?)

ddonaca351 said:
I have seen epoxy used for manifolds before, but didnt think it would live in the heat of a cyl-head... but the other day I saw some ports that had been partially filled, and they looked real good. (engine masters challange)

Anybody have experience with an epoxy or product will live inside the port?

Thanks for the help,
Dave-

What are you trying to fix, I don't trust the plastics. I'd rather bite the bullet and find a good part to start with.

epoxy is fine, cleveland guys have been using it for years. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an intake port at all. I don't know about the ehaust port though, its gets pretty hot, about 1300*, plus you'd want to add in a little safety factor.. The intake side of the heads probably stays about 200-250*, so its no big deal.

302 coupe said:
epoxy is fine, cleveland guys have been using it for years. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in an intake port at all. I don't know about the ehaust port though, its gets pretty hot, about 1300*, plus you'd want to add in a little safety factor.. The intake side of the heads probably stays about 200-250*, so its no big deal.

Aren't you afraid of a piece breaking off and sucking it into a valve?

if there was going to be a problem with epoxy filling the intake ports, it would have been in the late 60's and early 70's when the racers were filling the ports on the boss 302 heads to improve mid range airflow through the ports. the key is proper preperation of the area to which the epoxy is going to be applied. it must be absolutly clean and free of debris.

Devcon is what they use I believe. Used in racecar engines ALL the time. Only on the intake side though. My buddy has a $35k 489 all aluminum high riser FE and the bottoms of the intake ports on the head and the floor of the intake have been filled to the size of medium risers and it runs 8.30's N/A.