Ever have a migrane....

no offense, but if you can type on your computer, that's one weak migrane.

i haven't had one in about 12 years now, but when i did, i'd lose my sight and any tiny bit of light, sound, or movement caused truly exscrutiating pain. it's the only pain i've ever had since i was a baby that's made me cry.

• Sponsors (?)

I used to get them about 7 to 10 times a month lasting anywhere from 1 to 3 days each... got prescribed Nadolol which is a beta blocker and it reduced it to once or twice a month. And Maxalt MLT (another prescription) will usually take care of it within 1/2 hour. Gotta be careful with the Maxalt, tho... it can cause serious heart problems... such as causing it to stop, haha.

I just woke up at about 12am and felt like I was going to die. Popped 3 tylenols, got on the computer and waited until it lessened, and then went back to sleep.

It's 6:22 am and it still hasn't totally gone away :notnice:

Pain killers don't work - I tried them all - you have to use something that targets the cause - Exedrin Migraine is not bad if you want something over the counter.

i haven't had one in about 12 years now, but when i did, i'd lose my sight and any tiny bit of light, sound, or movement caused truly exscrutiating pain. it's the only pain i've ever had since i was a baby that's made me cry.

Not necessarily so, I've been getting them so bad and for so long (20 years now), that I've learned to function with even the worst of them (unless it's day 2 or 3, in which case I can only sleep or cry)... I can even go to work driving a truck with one now, once I've used up all my sick days on them, which I do every year...

You should probaly see a doctor about that bro, thats definatly not a normal thing.

i was hospitalized with them when i was younger like 5 years old. I just started getting them again a year ago. before last year it had been about 12 years from the last time i had one. I get them really bad cant think cant move at all my tongue and all goes numb my speech is slurred bad its insane. I think i get them when i stress out over stuff. Last time i got one was when i was worried I wasnt going to get to the ups warehouse before they closed to pickup my gears. I missed the ups truck a couple times so i had to get them taht day or else i would miss my appointment to get them in.

Another time this year was when the midterm exams were and i was stressing out over one class and ended up doing very poor on the exam anyways cause i couldnt think:notnice:

Excedrine Migraine is just a half dose of tylenol, full dose of aspirin, and a couple cups of coffee worth of caffiene. It's easier to just down the component parts in larger doses. Personally what I do is 800mg ibuprofen, 500mg acetaminophen, every 4hrs. Both work differently (centrally vs locally), so it'll target the pain at all corners.

As far as prescription pain killers go opiates have mixed results. Oxycodone (Percocet) makes me sleepy and works relatively well to make the headache go away, or atleast numb it enough to allow me to sleep. Hydrocodone (Vicodin) makes me too nauseous, and sometimes even makes the headache worse (by headache pain level, and also by adding to the chances that I'll puke). Codeine (Tylenol #3/#4) works the best; this stuff is legal in a bunch of other countries, but because of some stupid laws and views on opiates as a whole it's scheduled here.

Other prescription prevenative type drugs are available for migraines, but results seem to vary greatly. Also, for the chronic sufferer it's been a common thing for the past 20-30 years to put people on a certain SSRI's (anti-depresents) to "break the migraine cycle". This works for some, but others screws up horribly (alot of the SSRI's they tend to use are very potent, Paxil and Luvox being the main two which I disagree with using, mainly for their very physically addictive nature).

Anyway...I had a HORRIBLE one on saturday. I woke up with it, then it got progressively worse throughout the day. While driving home from my buddies house (long tube install gone bad, had to fix his **** lmao) I had to pull over on the side of the road because I was so dizzy, and could hardly see. Once I got home I slept for 3 hrs, woke up and it was worse, slept for another 3hrs, still worse, finally I was awake for the remainder of the day in agony. Long story short after throwing up and passing out again in bed, still hurt the next day. Believe it or not my head still kinda hurts eve now, 4-5 days later.

EDIT:

My 11 year old step daughter gets AWFULL migranes.. She will cry and vomit and the messed up part is when the headache goes away she gets a nasty bloody nose..
If you haven't had that checked out, you probably should - that isn't normal/good. Trip to the neurologist and perhaps an MRI if needed will clear everything up though! :nice:

This is weird how so many of us have this. I think the new KGB is in on this.

My son gets them too...in fact he has something now that has given him a headache since Sunday. He has a sore throat too so I took him to the doc. Took a strep test and it was negative so all he could do is tell him to take ibuprofen. He missed his first basketball game Monday and may miss another tomorrow. He was wanting to get over this so bad that he went to school today only to have to come home at 11a. He did go to practice but when he got home he was so miserable he went straight to bed. I'm hoping he feels better because he is already disappointed he couldn't play Monday. Missing his second game would really be depressing as much as he loves basketball.

If you haven't had that checked out, you probably should - that isn't normal/good. Trip to the neurologist and perhaps an MRI if needed will clear everything up though! :nice:

Yes we have done that, so far nothing has been solved, she has a appointment at brigham and womens in boston next month with a neurologist that is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

The bad part is the females on her side of my wifes family have a long long history of this and strokes. one of her aunts has had more than 10 strokes.. small ones but still a stroke is no joke. None of the males in her family have this problem only the females..

Well, since I don't get headaches that often, when I get something that feels like this it's a migrane to me.

It was lingering around all day, and I sure was grouchy at work.

This is weird how so many of us have this. I think the new KGB is in on this.

My son gets them too...in fact he has something now that has given him a headache since Sunday. He has a sore throat too so I took him to the doc. Took a strep test and it was negative so all he could do is tell him to take ibuprofen. He missed his first basketball game Monday and may miss another tomorrow. He was wanting to get over this so bad that he went to school today only to have to come home at 11a. He did go to practice but when he got home he was so miserable he went straight to bed. I'm hoping he feels better because he is already disappointed he couldn't play Monday. Missing his second game would really be depressing as much as he loves basketball.

you might want to get him tested for Strep C. a different kind of strep that doesnt show up on a strep test and only shows up in a blood test. i was hospitalized for it. 105-106 fever and climbing, throat so sore i couldnt drink water, bleeding/bloody throat coughing and vomiting blood/ numbness of body and overall lack of energy along with the worse headaches you couldnt even imagine. heart rate beating out of my chest and shaking and freaking out because i thought i was dying. It gets serious when the fevers start coming. I had it for TWO WHOLE MONTHS. worst time of my life. 3 different doctors came to my hospital bed asking me to confess that i was a meth addict because i was showing all the signs. after 2 different blood tests, they finally believed me that i wasnt.

on the migraine note, i used to get them almost everyday after school i'd get stressed out and basically had to lie down. if i sat up, i'd get so nausius i'd vomit. NO MEDICINE had any effect. they stopped hittig as frequently now tho.

you might want to get him tested for Strep C. a different kind of strep that doesnt show up on a strep test and only shows up in a blood test. i was hospitalized for it. 105-106 fever and climbing, throat so sore i couldnt drink water, bleeding/bloody throat coughing and vomiting blood/ numbness of body and overall lack of energy along with the worse headaches you couldnt even imagine. heart rate beating out of my chest and shaking and freaking out because i thought i was dying. It gets serious when the fevers start coming. I had it for TWO WHOLE MONTHS. worst time of my life. 3 different doctors came to my hospital bed asking me to confess that i was a meth addict because i was showing all the signs. after 2 different blood tests, they finally believed me that i wasnt.
He hasn't had a real high fever...about 100. He kind of relapsed today so he didn't go to school again and has to miss another game tonight. We are going back to the doctor tomorrow.