Everyone running drag radials!!

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
So I will be ordering my wheels and tires very soon here and have a question concerning drag radials.
How much does it affect the cars cornering abilities? Are they alot more mushy then regular tires? IDK what brand but prolly NITTOS as thats what AM has to fit the wheels I am getting.
I also imagine they suck really bad in the wet too.

• Sponsors (?)

Didn't notice too much in the corners as the last car I ran dr's on didn't have a front sway bar.... The rear dr's didn't make any difference after that.. :D

But, if u run full pressure on say a 17 or 18 dr, then you shouldn't notice too much difference. The rain, forget about it with anything besides Nittos, then take it easy.

I was tossing the idea for me between those or these ones, Clicky
not to much more. :shrug:
:chair:
100 tread wear AND only 4/32" new? :eek:
Thoes wont last 1000 miles!

The reason I am choosing the Nitto is they fit the budget, they are high performance and they are avaliable in 275/40/18 front and 295/35/18 rear. So they should fill the wheel wells almost exactly the same as what I currently have.
Should be able to get a few bucks for my old HRE drivers side wheels on ebay too :shrug:

Drag radials shouldn't adversly affect your handing.

They are a performance tire, and they are meant to stick harder than a street tire so I wouldn't worry too much about losing any performance with running them.

Like squeak93 said, keep your PSI normal during daily driving and you shouldn't have any problems.

Now these are what you need. They are working very well for the Corvette guys...hook great (sticky) and are designed for handling.

r888_hi.jpg

Toyo R888s. Im thinking about trying them next time as they come in 315/35/17s. BTW I have read reports of them lasting as much as 8000 miles....and everyone seems to mix drive (as in track days and street driving). Those track days KILL tires....im talking about open track, not drag racing.

I bet I could pull 9K out of them like I did with my MT DRs.

I have nitto drag radials. They hook pretty good if it is warm out but if it is cold or rainy they are like driving with concrete slicks. But now I just drive my car when its nice out so it doesnt matter. Those toyo r888 tires are pretty sick! They look great and are supposed to handle good. Those or some pilot sport cups would be da ****.

275/40/18 is too tall for the front for that car

i have 275/35/18 and its perfect!!

i used the same wheels/tires on my gt as i did my cobra

and my cobra isnt even lowered as much as yours
GT
DSC01682Small.jpg

Cobra
DSC01752.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01682Small.jpg
    DSC01682Small.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01752.jpg
    DSC01752.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 101
These will be fine :drool:
image4_1024.jpg

Im sure you were just kidding around, but IMO those are.....Ricey......those belong on a s2000 or an RSX or a civic. If you look at nittos tires and simular designs, they "were designed for the sport compact tuner market" or something similar. You have a mustang...and not just any mustang...a freegin cobra! You gotta represent....throw something beefy looking on the rears :D

Those tires remind me of those (off)center stripes they only put on one side of the civics and the such :rlaugh: The nittos arent nearly as bad though, but i would still be very hesitant of even putting them on my car.

Im sure you were just kidding around, but IMO those are.....Ricey......those belong on a s2000 or an RSX or a civic. If you look at nittos tires and simular designs, they "were designed for the sport compact tuner market" or something similar. You have a mustang...and not just any mustang...a freegin cobra! You gotta represent....throw something beefy looking on the rears :D

Those tires remind me of those (off)center stripes they only put on one side of the civics and the such :rlaugh: The nittos arent nearly as bad though, but i would still be very hesitant of even putting them on my car.

i sorta agree but, ricey or not....traction is traction and if they hook....then have at it.

don't waste your time with nittos.

Road race tires will work better than street tires when heated at the track for drag racing. However, the side wall is still stiffer than drag radials, so you probably will not as good of times are with standard drag radials.

The few sets of nittos I had, were fine in the rain as long as they had tread on them. Be super careful with all drag radials in the rain. I wouldn't run my bfg's in the rain unless it was only a drizzle.

I know you know your stuff, but I would not run them on the street for everday use. Just get a set of cheap 17-18 inch rims to mount them on for track duty. Against popular belief, low profile drag radials only really work with a salty burnout and lowered tire pressure. A good street tire will do just as good on the street as a drag radial in dry performance. Street tires should be good for mid 1.7's to low 1.9's with your power.

Lord, now tires are ricey. :nonono:

I'm running the nitto 555R on my 2.3 mustang. The tires are sooo much better than any regular tire I've had on the car. It may not have the traction of the MT or other drag radials, but it should last a lot longer.
Even when the tires are cold, they stick better than any regular tire. My best 60' on the nitto is 1.79, and that's with an OPEN differential and a 245-45-17. At the track, you have to warm them quite a bit to make them hook. On the street, they will hook from a roll with no problem at all, especially if you've been driving for at least 10mins.
I don't notice excessive sidewall roll over. If you run the regular pressure of 32psi, they'll definately feel like a regular tire. I normally run 18-20psi on the street and at the track though, so it naturally feels a bit soggy. I never felt it is dangrous.
I was very surprised by the wet traction. The nitto hooks better in the wet than any other regular tire I've had too. As others said, when the tread is gone, you'll have to watch out for hydroplaning, but I haven't worn mine that much yet.

101785.jpg

:scratch:
Grip is grip. It all looks the same once it's smoke.
:hail2:

And I was serious about the Nitto, I like them and am getting them. Its a new compund and tread designed to be quiet and its supposed to have killer handeling abilities. Its Nittos new flagship.

And tires being rice? Its not like they have a yellow stripe down the center and make red smoke when spinning them :shrug: