Ex Stanger looking into getting another, some questions....

BADDAZBLUE

Am I really SKIP?
Founding Member
Aug 10, 2001
California
Hey all, I used to post on this Board when I had my '98 GT.

I've been looking into getting a DD and from my experiences with these cars, they're very reliable and "cheap" to fix.

I'm looking for higher mileage, low priced models, so I'm trying to re-gather all the knowledge I've forgotten about the do's and dont's, what to look for, etc.

I just had a few questions:

I'm either looking into a 96-98 Cobra, or a 99+ GT. What would you all recommend for reliability and cost of keeping it on the road? Also, did Ford make the 99+'s Safer than the pre-99's, or are they exactly the same in that department? Safety is a major factor for me.

Also, with the 99+'s, are there any years I should avoid, or anything notable that changed through those years (I remember the '01's got a slight compression increase I believe).

I was also toying with the idea of getting an LS1 since they're the same $$, I'm not really concerned with style as much as safety and reliability, although the power of them would be some extra fun, just can't get myself to get into one though, unnatractive cars :shrug:

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

01's got quite a few differences--enough to justify me only buying 01+'s after I owned my 2000.

I'll take a GT over a Cobra. But that's just personal preference.

Ls1's arent reliable at all. Camaros fall apart. I love 98 cobras, if didnt have so much invested in my car I would get one. Dont buy one because its a good deal, figure out what your favorite mustang is and your favorite color combination is and find one. Dont just settle for one. I dont know what year the 99+ came with traction control but that is the only safety feature I could think of thats different. There isnt a difference in cost of keeping a mustang on the road, you just have to find a non abused version and they arent too bad. I havent had to fix anything that wasnt my fault, doughnuts into a curb which my friend has on film hopefully he will find the tape someday so I can give everyone a good laugh.

Cool, yeah TC would be nice indeed. GT's are incredibly tail happy.

Yeah, at the moment the only things I'm picky about are Manual Tranny, Cobra or (prefferably 01+) GT, besides that I'm trying to find a lower priced one since this will be a second Car (makes this whole escapade more risky I know), so high Mileage isn't a huge issue, as long as it seems it hasn't been abused, and it also makes it hard to go for a color combo I want. I would like Silver, Blue, or White though.

I also have to add, I thought opting for the Camaro would be fun since I had a Mustang before, but just going to their Website and seeing how alot of the owners are....I gotta say it doesn't help me wanting to join in on owning one.

There are quite a few 00-02 Gt's lurking around SoCal with low miles and around 10K. That would be your best bet. Get something under 50K miles so you know it hasn't been beaten.

Baddaz!!!

Welcome back man! Its been a long time on the boards, but I remember you. I'd go with an 01-04 GT.

Safety is going to be fairly close, mustang might edge out the camaro. As you know, there will not be much of a power comparison between the ls1 and 4.6 2v. Also, an m6 fbody or c5 will get better gas milage than a 2v. I'd give the overall build quality to the mustang though. Good luck

Mark

Baddaz!!!

Welcome back man! Its been a long time on the boards, but I remember you. I'd go with an 01-04 GT.

Safety is going to be fairly close, mustang might edge out the camaro. As you know, there will not be much of a power comparison between the ls1 and 4.6 2v. Also, an m6 fbody or c5 will get better gas milage than a 2v. I'd give the overall build quality to the mustang though. Good luck

Mark

Whatsup Mark!! Haha, I absolutely remember you too and I was wondering if any old schoolers were still around. It's been a while indeed, thanks for the warm welcome. Been cruising some other Boards in my search for a nice DD and it feels nice to see the Mustangers are all still nice, and not ego-maniacs.

Sucks you're not with your ride anymore though from the looks of it.

Yeah, through my research it seems the Stangs and F-Bods are a bit close in crash ratings although I personally feel a bit more comfortable with a Mustang in that aspect, but I'm sure it's a toss up. Yeah, I know the power and gas mileage is a sure win for the LS1 (nice to have both eh?). I'd really love a Cobra, but after owning a 98 style for so long, I wouldn't mind cruising around in a different body, i.e 99+

To be honest, I'm looking to pay under $6K, which is why most I'm looking at have over 100K Miles. There are some really good deals out there, it's just the risk when you start looking at Cars that cheap is a bit rough....

What are your power/supension/track aspirations? If you want a fast N/A car get the cobra. If you want just a fun n/a car buy the GT. If you want a good deal of power buy the GT and boost it as kits and parts can be acquired very cheaply. Either platform is good to 200-280k miles if taken care of from day one.

I'm pretty much looking for a fun car to drive around with enough power to enjoy, but I'm not gonna be racing it around (on the street at least) so it's more just for the fun factor, and so I could have some passion in my DD and not be bored as hell with it. Originally I wanted a Toyota, or Volvo (their going real cheap) for the reliable and safe, roomy, blah blah aspect. But then the Mustand/Camaro thing jumped out and it seems just so much more....fun. The reason the Gas and safety is so much of a concern is I drive from L.A to Vegas alot for work, and I'd like to use this car as the one to put all the miles on. So it pretty much comes down to getting a car for the same price that will offer more room, gas mileage (maybe), safety, but be more unreliable, or go with the Mustang which will be more reliable and fun, but obviously lacking in the other stuff.... Gotta make up my mind on that, hehe.

Thanks for the feedback again.

I believe Camaro's are so fuel efficient because of their 6-speed. You could always buy a used T-56 with a .60 or .64 6th gear ratio and save fuel that way for those long trips - then sell the stock TR-3650. Plus for trips, the mustang is more comfortable, more space, bigger trunk. I think an 01 GT with just some simple mods of your own would be your best choice.

Cool, thanks man. Do you have any real world MPG numbers for the GT's off hand, for both 5-Speed and Auto for the sake of it?

Looks like Ford did a good job of getting the new 197's really up their in the Safety category (I think 5-Stars almost all around?). I just can't get myself into those things though. I wonder how they've sold compared the the 96-04's.

Personally, I would opt for the Cobra since I like the body style and it is a COBRA. hahahhahaa From the looks of it, I dont think you are really planning on modding it too much though. If you are really concerned w/ safety, I would do brakes and tires, maybe a roll bar, etc.....(just a suggestion). Either way w/ the stangs or LS1 you will prob. like it. I just have to say, I am biased to a snake since they are on the top of the pile IMHO.

BADDAZBLUE Do you have any real world MPG numbers for the GT's off hand, for both 5-Speed and Auto for the sake of it?

I have a5 speed basic bolt ons tb/plenum/midpipe and get 26 freeway 20 city

John

PS Im gettin stationed at edwards. How long does it take you to get to vegas from la. sorry for off topic ?

Cool, thanks man. Do you have any real world MPG numbers for the GT's off hand, for both 5-Speed and Auto for the sake of it?

Looks like Ford did a good job of getting the new 197's really up their in the Safety category (I think 5-Stars almost all around?). I just can't get myself into those things though. I wonder how they've sold compared the the 96-04's.
My auto with stock gears got an average of 23.4mpg over a long trip there and back. You can expect 22-26mpg from all the 96-04's with sane freeway driving. City is where the bad mpg comes from, and the Camaro isn't going to fair much better their either. Have you thought about an 05 v6?

Personally, I would opt for the Cobra since I like the body style and it is a COBRA. hahahhahaa From the looks of it, I dont think you are really planning on modding it too much though. If you are really concerned w/ safety, I would do brakes and tires, maybe a roll bar, etc.....(just a suggestion). Either way w/ the stangs or LS1 you will prob. like it. I just have to say, I am biased to a snake since they are on the top of the pile IMHO.

I never thought about the roll bar thing, I'd assume that would probably help stiffen the car up within the safety cage? Also, I had Subframes on my 98GT and they felt great, I was wondering though, would they essentially hurt or help the car in a front end collision hypothetically speaking? I'd assume Subrames should help keep the inside safety cage intact in that situation?

John, it usually takes me about 3.5-4 hours with little to no traffic. I used to have a friend stationed at Edwards so I'd go there every now and then. I think the distance from Edwards would add about 15 minutes or so :)