Excessive wheel hop/ traction bars?

BB67FB

Oct 11, 2004
Hello everyone! I have a 67 fastback with a mildly built 289 in it. While the body was gettting a complete overhaul, I had subframe connectors welded in, and also put on 17 inch wheels with low profile tires. The problem is and INSANE amount of wheel hop! I broke 2 engine mounts in two days just by dumping the clutch, and both when I was already rolling! I broke other things as well, but my questions are: Has anyone else had this problem? And will a set of traction bars end this situation or just help it a bit? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

1st thing is to make sure your suspension is up to snuff. Soft old leaf springs and worn out bushings will definately result in wheelhop.

If your sure all that's OK, then generally people will go with a set of traction bars. They sure made a huge difference with my truck.

THe low profile tires are not helping you for hard launches, but the real culprit is the leafs. I was trying to explain to some of the guys in the 2005+ forum who were complaining about the hop on the late models just how mild it was compared to a leaf sprung classic...LOL.

Trac bars WILL help, so will shocks. The cheapo "slapper" type bars do help, but as with most things you get what you pay for. An intermediate cost traction bar is the Shelby style, these weld onto the rear subframes and connect to the leaf plates like the slappers do. The best traction bars for leafs are the "Cal-Trac" style, they are fairly expensive but there are leaf sprung cars running 8s with them, so they MUST work :D

There are some pictures of mine here: http://www.edbert.net/axle.htm

Try the Cal-Tracs or slide-a-links. I made a set of slide a links for my 67 but have not installed them yet. Also make sure your pinion angle is correct. I had a lot of wheel hop also with the shelby style bars.John