Exhaust Advice

anticubicle

Jul 30, 2007
Forgive me if this has been posted 1000 times. :)

First stang as of Sunday and was wondering what's a good brand to go for when upgrading my exhaust. I've heard that the Magnaflow systems are very good.

A few other questions:
1. Do I really need a cat back? Is it worth the extra $150-250 for a few pipes?
2. I'd like my GT to be louder but not so loud that I wake the neighbors.
3. Will I see a performance increase on an axle-back system?

• Sponsors (?)

to answer these:
1. no you don't need the "cat back", the factory pipes are 2 1/2" and good enough
2. as far as sound, this will generate many opinions, but here's mine, DON'T use Stingers unless you want your ears ringing when you drive. Personally, i would go with GTA's or MAC or Magnaflow
3. no, on these new cars, you won't get much power, only sound. Ford did their homework with this new car.

I agree that you will get a million opinions, all different. Here's mine and why. Off road H-pipe and that's all you need. It is not obnoxious which is one thing you are concerned about. It is actually just a little bit louder than stock at idle and low rpm's but when you get on it you will really like it. This is one of the cheapest and easiest alternatives and it sounds great. Only two negatives that I know of. You will have to swap the cats back in for emmisions testing, and you might get a check engine light as a result of no cats, some do some don't.

Depends on how loud you want it...

If your are looking for SUPER loud and long lasting, (and expensive)..

Stingers is a good bet..

If you are looking for SUPER loud, and amazing price.. Go with the Pypes Violators.

It all depends.. Mild, Medium, or Obnoxious..

I personally have Violators, and yes they are Obnoxious, but awesome!

-C

I think I need to take a trip to a local car meet before I make a decision.

I want it to be more agressive than stock, louder but not "too" much louder. If that makes sense...

makes perfect sense, and you should consider the off road h/x pipe with stock mufflers. or same with GTA mufflers, neither will be obnoxiously loud, but will be considerably louder than stock.

i have the pypes violators with the stock cated h-pipes and i love the sound, you dont realy hear much inside the car only under power and on the highway cruzing is quiet. now ii will like to know if any one has the violators with a off road h ro x pipe (how loud will it get?) i want to install some jba shortys with the pypes O/R x-pipe but im wondering how loud it will get? i want is a bit louded but i dont want the cops to be on my ass. can any one help me? thanks for any info

I got lucky, my car came with rolled stainless tips, part of a package I think.

It seems Mikey and I are looking for the same thing, slightly louder than stock... not obnoxious.

I got the rolled tips with the GT App package as well but they still seem small in diameter compared to many of the S197's I've seen. Obviously they are aftermarket, but does anybody have recommendations when keeping the stock mufflers?

Also, I might be chastised for this but I do NOT feel like swapping the damn cats in and out once a year for Fascist PA emissions testing. Any suggestions? Looking for the same result as Mikey...

It seems Mikey and I are looking for the same thing, slightly louder than stock... not obnoxious.

I got the rolled tips with the GT App package as well but they still seem small in diameter compared to many of the S197's I've seen. Obviously they are aftermarket, but does anybody have recommendations when keeping the stock mufflers?

Also, I might be chastised for this but I do NOT feel like swapping the damn cats in and out once a year for Fascist PA emissions testing. Any suggestions? Looking for the same result as Mikey...

You're pretty much stuck changing out something if you want it louder. I would suggest a flowmaster axleback for sound, my gibsons sound a lot like flowmasters. It is slightly louder than stock and I think it's exactly what you guys are looking for. Head down to the dealership and have them turn the shelby gt on, that's the FRPP axleback i believe.

If you don't want to swap your h-pipe out, then go with an axleback. You get the fancy exhaust tips your looking for too!

magnapacs were all the rage back when these cars first came out. they were about the only mufflers available early on for these cars. now that there are more choices available, you dont hear of many people with the pacs..... :shrug:

I have no problem with Mac's "muscularity", but the highway drone associated with a chambered muffler is often more than I'm able to bare. I swore after my Fox that I'd never own a Mac exhaust component again. :bang:

You're pretty much stuck changing out something if you want it louder. I would suggest a flowmaster axleback for sound, my gibsons sound a lot like flowmasters. It is slightly louder than stock and I think it's exactly what you guys are looking for. Head down to the dealership and have them turn the shelby gt on, that's the FRPP axleback i believe.

If you don't want to swap your h-pipe out, then go with an axleback. You get the fancy exhaust tips your looking for too!

Awesome, very helpful. I knew it wouldn't take much to get these things sounding the way you want. Now for one more question, which of the 2 systems on the FRPP are you referring to?

One is a muffler-only setup with 4" tips while the other is labeled the "05-08 GT exhaust kit" with 3.5" tips and does not appear to be much more than mufflers anyhow.

05-08 GT Muffler Set (4.0" tip) $325
05-08 GT Exhaust Kit (3.5" tip) $529 (I'm guessing this one?)

I know exactly what you are talking about in regards to the Shelby GT sound / appearance and that is what I'm looking for. Question is... which one is it! Thanks a lot.