Exhaust... again

westernstar11

Jun 23, 2004
I have read numerous threads here about exhausts and I've decided to go for it. :D I had posted before saying that I couldn't justify the $ in taking a stock system off that was already stainless, and somebody said that it was low grade and would get surface rust anyhow. Well guess what I saw this weekend while washing the snake... so now my decision is that much easier!

So my question is: what is the difference between an X pipe and a H pipe? I plan on getting a catback (probably Borla, which I have on my truck and love the sound), but also want to get the X or H pipes that everyone is talking about, but don't know much about them. I'm also concerned with the O2 sensors (like how many there are and how they fit into the whole senario)

Any help would be appreciated! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

An H pipe gets its name because there is a piece of pipe that connects each side of the pipe that connects to the header collectors (hence the name H pipe). This pipe is supposed to help equalize the pressure and thereby create a better scavenging effect. An X pipe however, has each side of the pipe meet in an X type junction. Again the idea is to equalize pressure and create better scavenging. As a general rule, H pipes allow for more low end torque and slightly less HP than X pipes do. Also, the sound note is quite different. The X pipe has a raspy Nascar sound while the H pipe is more “muscle car” sounding. The mid pipe choice seems to be a personal sound preference and most people who use chambered mufflers opt for the H pipe, while the straight through users tend to choose the X pipe. Typically, the X pipe/straight through muffler combination yields higher HP and lower torque than the H pipe/chambered muffler design.
Thus, if you get an X, go Magnaflow. They are SS and they sound sick. I personaly like the Xs better. I dont know very much about Hs. If you can, go Magnaflow for everything because they are SS. Borla, i dont think yo uwill like. They are VERY quite and i mean VERY quite.
The O2 Sen. they just screw righ tin and your done. Very easy. Just make sure they are tieght otherwise it will cause you some confusion.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=479900
^^ UNHAPPY BORLA BUYER

RE O2 sensors, just read the following "how-to" install guide for an X pipe, found over at fnsweet.com. It covers the procedure for swapping over O2 sensors from the factory H pipe to the new X pipe in the article:

http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/kevsS3/x_install.shtml

Oh, and here's an image from the article as well. You can clearly see the difference in design between the "X" and the "H:"

x-install018.jpg

:D

Attachments

• x-install018.jpg
    x-install018.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 82
Nice picture :)

Now I'm really going to sound like a dummy asking this, but where do the cats fit into all of this? Stock has 4, right? Do the H and/or X pipes eliminate these? (which I don't want to do, although 2 of them should be ok) Or do these H and/or X pipes having nothing to do with the cats?

westernstar11 said:
Nice picture :)

Now I'm really going to sound like a dummy asking this, but where do the cats fit into all of this? Stock has 4, right? Do the H and/or X pipes eliminate these? (which I don't want to do, although 2 of them should be ok) Or do these H and/or X pipes having nothing to do with the cats?

No problem, I'll briefly outline everything here:

In the pic above you are looking at an aftermarket Bassani X pipe w/ catalytic converters (2) on the left. On the right, you can see the 4 cats on the factory H pipe (some Mustangs were equipped with 6 cats!).

Aftermarket X & H midpipes come in two flavors:

1) offroad (having "no cats")

or

2) "with cats" (equipped with 2 high-flow cats)

Today's high-flow catalytic converters perform very well (there was an old saying that cats choke performance, not so true with newer technology).
* In very high horsepower applications, there probably are a few ponies that could be realized by switching from a "catted" aftermarket midpipe to an offroad midpipe...but the gains are probably not too significant.

Offroad X or H pipes tend to really wake up the dB (loudness) of an exhaust system. I couldn't justify going to an off-road exhaust because of the increased sound level. The cats on my aftermarket X pipe help keep the sound level in check (mellow at idle & semi-loud at WOT) while still delivering great performance. The best way to decide is to listen to several exhaust combos in person because the topic of exhaust sound is such a subjective issue...g'luck!

Well I do beg to differ on the Borla exhaust. I have the 04 Cobra and wanted that deep, powerfull, louder than stock but not so loud it gets obnoxious sound and the borla stinger exhaust delivers just that. All high quality stainless steel with 4" rolled tips. It looks terrific and I could not imagine a better sound to the car. I get compliments all the time. In polls on forum boards the Borla Stinger exhaust wins the best sound poll every time. Ninosports shipped it to me quickly and install was a snap. I say go Borla stinger catback exhaust (keeping your factory H-pipe and 02 sensors intact) and smile every time you drive the car...:)

westernstar11 - you'll be very pleased w/your Borlas. :nice:

Though my snake is a few years earlier then yours, I have heard the Stingers on the 03s/04s in person and it simply sounded awesome. Actually, that's the main reason I ended up getting mine.

In my sig are videos of various sounds of the offroad x and magnaflow cb.... I haven't found a better sound, but sound is a preference. Even at a casual take off, my combo isn't too loud... and it makes all camaro's and ricers think twice about throwing me a rev at a light.

From the newer Cobra's that I've heard with the stock H pipe the borla stingers was one of the best sounding IMO. Magnaflow catback is another very good one. I have a magnaflow catted X pipe & a Ford Racing FR500 catback on my '04 Cobra. The sound is exactly what I wanted, low, deep & throaty sound, but not too loud. I had this exhaust combo already from a '01 Cobra that I traded in for the '04, otherwise I would of probably went with just the stingers & go from there.

Just my .02