Exhaust Drone

ok its strange for me but i have no drone with my spintech pro-streets. im running 2 1/2 spintechs dumped off a BBK h-pipe. when the car slows down in gear, it doesnt make any droning noise at all. its very quiet! when i gun it, thats a different situation

• Sponsors (?)

i cant stand driving my car long distances, anything 10 miles or so is terrible, but my main problem is the rpms that i have to deal with to go 60mph. Dynomax are pretty drone free from what i've heard.

Mavrick said:
mustangdaren: I think you've steered me away from the bullits... but you have full 3" exhaust right? Mine is completely stock. I'd like to buy some spintechs, if they were sold near Toronto somewhere.

yes, I have 3 inch exhaust with turndowns. I used to have the 2.5 inch bullets and they were a little quieter but still pretty loud. My car is not a daily driver and they give me a headache, I couldn't imagine having to drive it everyday. I'm not trying to steer you away from them, just want you to know what your getting into. You may like them. I know I love the sound of mine. When I get the MAC Pro Dumps I am still keeping the Bullets also so I can switch back and forth depending the mood I'm in, lol. The bullets definitely get the attention, with the cam it sounds like an outlaw drag car.

Hey Mav-

My 93GT has the typical setup: Mac shorties, ORH, and 2-chambers. I drive 20 highway miles one way to work and I personally don't mind the drone-I try to keep it a tad above 2K rpms, though. Does anyone out there have any opinions whether getting a Cobra bumber cover with LX tails will be quieter than the GT turndowns behind the stock bumber cover?

Thanks-
Hawaii-50

65ShelbyClone said:
The drone will get irritating if you're anything like me and I'm sure the new engine will only make it worse. My setup is in my sig and I've had it for two years, but I've been sick of the drone for half of that. I'm only 21 so its not an age thing. I got a cheap Summit glasspack that I'm going to weld in front of one of the mufflers. I got the idea from the stock muffers, one being larger than the other. That way you get a broader range of sound frequencies without an overabundance of the low frequency waves that you hear as an eardrum shaking drone.

This is true. My buddy had a 91 Lincoln LSC, they come with a 5.0 HO, real sweet car. But it was a Lincoln so it had to be quiet inside. The stock exhuast system was 2" into each muffler and the muffler on the left side, I think, was longer. Also the left side had a 1 7/8" tailpipe while the right side was 2". There was absolutely no drone inside the car. Then cut the mufflers off and put in straight pipes. Sounded great outside, but a little bit of drone showed up inside. Not alot, the factory H-pipe really helped, but enough to let you know it was there. Good luck with it, let me know how it goes cuz I'm tired of the drone too.

Drone at 2000 RPM...

I get drone around 2000-2300 RPM, or 3rd gear @ 40MPH, and 4th gear at 55MPH

with,

BBK shorties,
BBK X catted,
2 chamber 40 delta series with pipes.

It does drone, but shift up one gear and you can't even hear it.

With the tail pipes off I could not stand the ear shattering drone for 2 days max, so I put the pipes on.

I made it throught the gauntlet today. Three NC State Troopers had a road block set up that I had to go through. Boy was I sweating. The older one looked like he was going to say something to me about it when one of the younger officers told him to tell me it sounds pretty good for a four cylinder laughing. I'm glad they were cool since I have the smoked tail lights, loud exhaust, ect. I figured for sure they would tell me to quieten it down or give me a ticket for the tail lights.

glasspacks

hey 65shelbyclone i sorta had the same idea, but i was thinking of using 2, one on each side. but my idea was to mainly try and quiet it down, maybe try and change the tone a little, and make it look like i have cats on my car. oh man if that state cop knew i was running an off road pipe it would be f-ing ticket city man. this sucks just cause of one stupid night i gotta watch my ass everywhere. should have just left the stock mufflers on there, i miss my tint so much....

Thanks for all the posts, im sure i won't mind the drone, and i don't want to get rid of it all together... i just don't want it to be as loud as it is with dumped cherry bombs that my car currently has.

Back to my origional question, by putting a bigger muffler (more restriction) on one side, reduce drone inside the car? If so, how?

If I didnt have a 8 year old girl I would have the "loudest" most "obnoxiuos" exhaust system A 5.0 could have. ( I leave my house 4:30 am my nieghbors would hate me--LOL ) But my daughter always falls asleep when we drive,so I had to settle for Flow Master Delta Force--3 chamber muffs.Im 36 and I love the sound of a small block Ford!!!

Mavrick said:
Back to my origional question, by putting a bigger muffler (more restriction) on one side, reduce drone inside the car? If so, how?

I believe the reason this works is the 2 different sized mufflers create 2 different sound frequencies. The 2 different frequencies then cancel each other out, to an extent, resulting in less drone.

Hey Mavrick, check out Ravin Performance mufflers. I hear they sound real deep and don't drone much. They are sold by Midas. I am looking into them myself. They have 2 kinds 55's and 33's. I think the 55's are louder. Their site is www.goravin.com. They got good reviews in the Stangnet reviews section.

As for Speedo, we don't need idiots like you in here.

Thats rite! When the factory made these cars they had one quiet muffler and one that had a rumble to it,this did make it quieter,they didnt want to scare the buyer.If you look at the factory mufflers,one is actually 2 inches shorter then the other one.

89lxsport50 said:
Hey Mavrick, check out Ravin Performance mufflers. I hear they sound real deep and don't drone much. They are sold by Midas. I am looking into them myself. They have 2 kinds 55's and 33's. I think the 55's are louder. Their site is www.goravin.com. They got good reviews in the Stangnet reviews section.

As for Speedo, we don't need idiots like you in here.

Wow, i listened to the sound clip on their website... i think im going with those mufflers for sure!

I basically love 5.0's for the drone sound, cuz like some of you guys say it reminds me im drivein the nicest sounding v8 cars on earth lol, i got equal length header, off road h-pipe and 2 chamber flows 2 1/2 stainless tips. loving it like mcdonalds says now lol