exhaust help.

boostedbar

Aug 6, 2003
Before i look for a mustang to buy, i figured taht i should do some research before i start anything. I previously had a 2000 mercury cougar V6, but they are two totally different species. So i've been looking at the exhaust mods that people use on thier stangs in 5.0 mustang magazine, and the array of exhaust mods confuse me, specifically the headers part. I've tried doing research, both in the magazine and the manufacturers website, but to no avail. I have acouple of questions:

Most mustang owners that i've seen use a combination of long tube headers connected to a H pipe then to a cat back exhaust. My question is: can I expect for all long tube headers, h or X pipes, and cat back exhuasts to fit despite being from different manufacturers?

What will i need exhuast wise if i choose to go for shorty headers? what do short headers connect up to...or in other words, what's between the shorty headers and cat back exhaust.

Will the bassani mid length headers hook up to only bassani x pipes? are these a special kind of headers only made by bassani?

Sorry for the long post, but i really want to see what i'm getting into before i sell my cougar for a mustang. I hate being slow and FF....

• Sponsors (?)

well, not all the manufactuers will work together, some will, but not all. & as for the shorty header question.....there is still a mid-pipe (x or h) between the shorties & the cat-back. it's just made differently than the ones for the longtubes :nice:

Provided you are talking about exhaust parts that the factory manifolds bolt to ... Yes, ALL of them will bolt together no matter what brand of H or X or C/B you use ... they're all made to fit your car. Using LT or mid-length headers will require you to go with a shorter, matching midpipe so your choices will be more limited with the midpipe, but any C/B will still bolt to whichever midpipe you decide to use.

01'TRUE BLUE GT said:
Provided you are talking about exhaust parts that the factory manifolds bolt to ... Yes, ALL of them will bolt together no matter what brand of H or X or C/B you use ... they're all made to fit your car. Using LT or mid-length headers will require you to go with a shorter, matching midpipe so your choices will be more limited with the midpipe, but any C/B will still bolt to whichever midpipe you decide to use.

well i know of three people off the top of my head that had to return mid-pipes because of fitment issues with the headers. they might be "made to fit" any other component, but not all of them do :nice:

yep, yodude was the company to go to for cougs.

I like my coug, hopefully i'll like a FAST car for a change, especially one with a HUGE aftermarket like the stang. Finding parts for the cougar was really hard.