Exhaust Leak...please help.

99 silvr35th

Jan 23, 2004
Long Island
I think I have an exhaust leak since i see some black dust build up where the x-pipe connects to the header, is that a sign of a leak and would it give me a check engine light? I've been getting one (ck. lght.) and not sure if it's from the probable leak or bad sensor. I'm getting bank 1 sensor 2, is that the driver side or passenger side? Do I need to change both sensors? Thanks for your help...

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, an exhaust leak can cause such a problem, and if ignored long enough, could cause the sensor to fail. I'd take it on down to your local muffler shop and have them tighten it up, if you can't reach it yourself.

if you didnt replace the studs on the manifolds when you put the x pipe on they are gonna leak , take it loose get some new studs for them at NAPA and that should fix it for ya , HINT , use lock washers and blue loctite

thanks for the feedback.

2002blgt....when you say the manifolds are you referring to the flange that connects the two pipes or the actual manifold where the header bolts on (excuse my non-mechanical knowledge)? Will NAPA know the bolt sizes I need? thanks again.

99 silvr35th said:
thanks for the feedback.

2002blgt....when you say the manifolds are you referring to the flange that connects the two pipes or the actual manifold where the header bolts on (excuse my non-mechanical knowledge)? Will NAPA know the bolt sizes I need? thanks again.

the two studs that stick down on each side that bolt the midpipe up to the manifolds on the engine . do a search for the words NAPA and studs , should find the part numbers