Exhaust mount for a TKO 600

Sicarius428

Jan 6, 2004
How did you guys mount your exhaust to your tranny mount. As you probably know the stock one won't fit and I don't want to let it dangle under the car. I live in a gated community with speed bumps which don't take kindly to any exhaust on either of my Mustangs. Did you fab up a mount because the stock one can't be modified to work at all. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm possibly thinking of using a through bolt design attached to the HPM crossmember. Any thoughts on that. Might be noisy but it will be solid. Not that it was quiet to begin with... Thanks a lot
Kevin

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 3550, which has the same case & mount points as the TKO. I am not using any mounting for the exhaust, just bolt it up and put a floor jack to get it pushed up before tightening everything.

Just as jrichker said, you really don't need any hangers for the mid pipe, just get everything supported up close to the body before you tighten everything up. I have used the "hooks" on an H pipe though, and just hooked them over the cross member...this works great but can be a pain to get over the K. Right now i'm using full length headers....can't beat'em, i can change mid pipes and catbacks without jacking the car up at all.

I wish I could get away with full lengths here in CA. I found a way buy cutting about half of the rubber insolator and metal support on the stock mount and reversing the mount backwards so it points towards the rear of the car. I probably could have gotten it snugged up there with the jack but I would hate to come across that speed bump from hell and knock everything out of allignment. The fissures or pot holes they call them around here probably would jar the thing loose too. Thanks for the input guys.
Kevin

Not that I have found. They absolutely have to have a CARB number or they won't smog your car at all. Otherwise they are considered illegal. Even the bassani mid pipes are not legal since they are not a one piece unit. Its really lame but thats one of the compromises for living here. Don't get me started on the gun laws... Oh well..
Kevin

Sicarius428 said:
Not that I have found. They absolutely have to have a CARB number or they won't smog your car at all. Otherwise they are considered illegal. Even the bassani mid pipes are not legal since they are not a one piece unit. Its really lame but thats one of the compromises for living here. Don't get me started on the gun laws... Oh well..
Kevin

Seems to me that such a kick ass state as California really sucks when you boil all the fat away. Aside from weather what fun do you guys get? Ohio might be a little nowhere state but man the area i live in is like Mustang Universe...you can't drive 5 minutes without seeing a badass car somewhere. Now the majority of counties around here dropped smog check because it's just a waste of time and money.

Yeah... the echo nazi's took over... Stupid things like MTBE was put in our gas but turned out worse for the environment and then they sued the state for implementing it. Thing are a bit mixed up here and totally caters to the leaset deserving. The weather is nice here and its nice to have a coast and snow within driving distance. I work computers so there are jobs here but it's all a compromise. My "evil" guns are in NV and I have my 428cj(rarely drive it because of gas prices but its a threat) to terrorize the echo nazis here. I make due. There is some necessity for smog testing here i think but some of the rules are really rediculious. If it comes out the tail pipe fine... I don't see the issue.
Kevin

i took the exhaust hanger completely off the crossmember and just put a threaded rod through the hole thats in the tranny. it was in just the right place for where the hangers are on my mid-pipe.

"i took the exhaust hanger completely off the crossmember and just put a threaded rod through the hole thats in the tranny. it was in just the right place for where the hangers are on my mid-pipe."

I like the sound of that.

I see a lot of people just didnt use their hanger? Well, I didnt want to try without it. Why not just modify your hanger? I got a torch and bent the hangers to slide backward the needed length so the exhaust would hook same as always.