Exhaust Opinions?

Fargo5.0

Jun 27, 2016
Hey guys,

So one of the first things I'll be doing to my recently acquired '88 GT besides a tune up, is looking to add an aftermarket exhaust system. Just wanted to see what your opinions/recommendations are of different brands or manufacturers for those who have experience with them. I would say that I'm not looking for anything too loud but a nice low rumble during normal driving conditions while at the same time letting people know you're around when you get on it! Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I love my H-pipe and flowmaster 40s, but they're loud all the time. Can't beat the chambered sound! If you want quiet down low and scream when you're on it, check out the dynomax VT mufflers. They have a spring loaded flap inside that opens up with increased exhaust flow. I've never personally tried them, but it sounds like a good idea and I've heard good things.

It depends on the type of sound you are looking for. If you want that mean loud 5.0 sound, you will need shorty headers, off-road h-pipe(no cats), and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Done. If you are planning on supercharging or turbo charging your car down the road, which i highly recommend :) the above setup wont be ideal for that. So it really depends on what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

So one of the first things I'll be doing to my recently acquired '88 GT besides a tune up, is looking to add an aftermarket exhaust system. Just wanted to see what your opinions/recommendations are of different brands or manufacturers for those who have experience with them. I would say that I'm not looking for anything too loud but a nice low rumble during normal driving conditions while at the same time letting people know you're around when you get on it! Thanks in advance!

Youtube is your friend on determining the sound you want and what state/county your in for emissions also may play a factory.

Mac prochamber with MAC dumps = deep sound, kind of loud, mild drone 78 dBish

BBK O/R H pipe with Flowmasters 40s = loud, typical mustang sound, annoying drone 80dBish

BBK O/R X pipe with Flowmasters 40s = less loud , typical mustang sound, annoying drone 80dBish

BBK O/R X pipe with Flowmasters 10s = loudest, lighter sound but more raspy , loud >85dBish

Full length headers with Cherrybomb header packs 3in to 2.25 outlet = quiet at idle, loud when you're on it, little drone around 75-80dBish

H-pipe two cats with Flowmaster 40s = 70-75ish dB -current set up

I have this setup you mention above and oddly I experience ZERO drone. Maybe my long tube headers help? My previous t-top car droned like crazy with JBA shorties, Basani o/r X pipe, and flowmaster 40's. :shrug:

That was with shorties, I have a lot less drone with long tubes :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the type of sound you are looking for. If you want that mean loud 5.0 sound, you will need shorty headers, off-road h-pipe(no cats), and Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Done. If you are planning on supercharging or turbo charging your car down the road, which i highly recommend :) the above setup wont be ideal for that. So it really depends on what you are looking for.

Curious as to your objection with shorty headers, H pipe and flowmasters on a supercharged application.

Are the 40 louder than flow master super 10

Supposed to be, 10s are one chambered, 40s are two chambered. 40s have a deeper, smoother (not the right word) and are loud, but the 10s are loud and raspy and they don't recommend for street use because your neighbors will love them.

No real difference in horsepower gains between the two.

I'm really happy with the Mac Pro chamber mid pipe and flow path cat back. It's a 3" system with 1 3/4" long tubes but it sounds awesome. My favorite setup I've tried. The dynomax bullets with an h pipe and shorties were pretty neat sounding too.

Supposed to be, 10s are one chambered, 40s are two chambered. 40s have a deeper, smoother (not the right word) and are loud, but the 10s are loud and raspy and they don't recommend for street use because your neighbors will love them.

No real difference in horsepower gains between the two.
Ok because I been YouTubing and the 10s kinda sounded like the annoying wake up the neighbors sound I want

Ok because I been YouTubing and the 10s kinda sounded like the annoying wake up the neighbors sound I want
Full lengths with a bolt on turn down or cats and straight pipe.............all or nothing :poo:

I use to like being heard a mile away and then I realized loud = don't mean fast and its cop magnet