Exhaust Price Estimating

Thordic

Feb 11, 2004
Cedar Grove, NJ
Ok, I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to go to a true dual exhaust AND making sure it'll fit, and I figure someone here should have an idea :)

I figure headers can be bought for $300ish. Is it really worth getting them coated? I've heard around $150 for the coating. I realize it looks pretty, but is it worth the $150?

Then I'll need the shop to cut off the Y-pipe after the cats and fabricate new pipes to mufflers (I'm thinking Flowmaster 40s, I know everyone has them, but after listening to sound clips, I kinda like em) and then tips. The mufflers would be around $200 - $240 for the pair, I believe.

How much do you think I should expect in labor and parts for the manufactured bits?

Will the headers be able to bolt in place of the manifolds, or will they have to fabricate new pipe there as well?

And lastly, and prolly most importantly, my car is a '99 vert, will a dual exhaust fit easily? I've noticed "Will Not Fit Convertibles" on a few of the kits out there.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of getting the work done with my tax refund when it gets in.

• Sponsors (?)

check out the thread called "more dual advice" near the bottom of the v6 tech page. i listed everything you will need for your true dual conversion and it will fit a vert. the system i list on that thread is the best way to go for ease of installation and functionality.

you don`t need to replace your factory headers. they flow just fine and long tube headers will only add a little if you have a stock setup.

the MAC system i listed will bolt right to your factory headers. i also reccomend using the catalytic h-pipe instead of the off road pipe. the system is a little pricey but is the best out there and far better than a custom exhaust from a muffler shop

I saw your post, actually.

Why would I need to replace the front of the exhaust since I already have two pipes and two cats up front? Couldn't I just get a shop to chop the Y-pipe after the cats off and go from there?

I was under the impression that the Y-pipe was BEFORE the cat when I first got the car, but after looking, I was pleasantly surprised and figured it'd save me a bunch of money to not have to replace it with an aftermarket cat H-pipe.

Also, stock is just an exhaust manifold, not true headers. I would think getting real headers would flow better than the stock manifold. I'd have to look closer, but when I looked at them it seemed that a good set of headers would be less restrictive.

with two mufflers and exhaust tips, and to get a custom exhaust done with cutting the y pipe and pipes and flanges and hangers, etc. It cost me ~300. I figure your price range should be 250 to 350 depending on the shop and exhaust you get. Add X amount more for headers and crossover pipes. I ran mine straight back(no H or X) and stock headers. Labour is included in that price.

Thordic said:
I saw your post, actually.

Why would I need to replace the front of the exhaust since I already have two pipes and two cats up front? Couldn't I just get a shop to chop the Y-pipe after the cats off and go from there?

I was under the impression that the Y-pipe was BEFORE the cat when I first got the car, but after looking, I was pleasantly surprised and figured it'd save me a bunch of money to not have to replace it with an aftermarket cat H-pipe.

Also, stock is just an exhaust manifold, not true headers. I would think getting real headers would flow better than the stock manifold. I'd have to look closer, but when I looked at them it seemed that a good set of headers would be less restrictive.

the stock cats are extremely restrictive and by merely chopping the y pipe and making a dual from there back wont add any power. believe me i know i did the chopping of the y pipe and it didn`t add any power on the dyno. my current setup with MAC offroad h-pipe and random technology 2.5"cats welded in added 23 hp on my procharged 3.8 over the dual exhaust with factory converters. if you arn`t concerned about power and just want sound then hooker headers makes a catback that cuts the y-pipe and goes back from there but does not include mufflers for about $200.00 part # 16864 it is designed for the 94-98 3.8 but can be made to fit the 99+

the stock manifolds are true tubular headers and flow very well compared to JBA and MAC short tube headers. MAC long tubes flow better but are better suited to modded engines

crossover pipes act as a balance tube between cylinder banks to even out exhaust pulses and make exhaust scavanging a little more efficient. they also reduce the exhaust sound by a couple decibles

I had mine done recently and it cost me 327.00, thats with them cutting the Y pipe to make true duals, and using alluminized piping so it wouldn't corrode, 18 inch glass packs and three foot stainless/chrome coated tips. Sounds really nice and i haven't had my car on a dyno, but it seems a little snappier. rpms wind up a bit faster. :nice:

oh yeah. i alrealy got shorty headers though... i didn't buy them, so i dont know how much they cost..

manifold.jpg

Seems like headers would be less restrictive, but I'll take your word on it for now :)

5.0 mustangs magazine did a comparison of BBK headers to stock manifolds and actually found that it resulted in a decrease in power going to headers. The only reason to go to headers is if you're gonna go with a supercharger or Nitrous because then it probably does help increase horsepower.

01White5spd said:
5.0 mustangs magazine did a comparison of BBK headers to stock manifolds and actually found that it resulted in a decrease in power going to headers. The only reason to go to headers is if you're gonna go with a supercharger or Nitrous because then it probably does help increase horsepower.

:stupid: