Exhaust problem

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by jdwyer25, Dec 12, 2003.

1. jdwyer25

jdwyer25 Member

Showcase:
    Here's the problem. I put the Magnaflow cat back exhaust on my car and now when I hit a bump I can hear what sounds like the exhaust hitting something. I've had it on the lift serveral times to look for the problem, but everything has good clearance and should not be hitting anything at all. Anyone got any ideas?
  2. Beau

Beau Founding Member

i had a similar thing happen to me after i got my car lowered..it might be your catalytic converters hitting or something if its coming from the front, if its coming from the rear then maybe the pipes are hanging too low..
  3. jdwyer25

jdwyer25 Member

Showcase:
    It's coming from the rear of the car and I'm thinking that since changing from 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" pipe the clearance was a little tight getting them but like I said everything when on the lift looks good. Plenty of clearance and all.
  4. CottonBurnerz

CottonBurnerz Banned

Same thing happened to me after I installed my magnapack. I found out that the pipe was ON the frame of the car.. I fixed it with no problems at all.. the clearance was very tight (about 1") but no more sound
  5. DirtyD916

DirtyD916 Active Member

i would think that the back of the tailpipes ( where to connect to themifflers) is whats scraping. If not then maybe the muffler itself is.
  6. cybore

cybore New Member

Two possibilities, at least when I put mine on.

One was the section of pipe between the mid pipe and the muffler, passenger side I think was too close to the floor bottom. I loosened it up and twisted the pipe a little more away.

Second, the back part of the U part of the pipe was hitting the rear sway bar going over bumps. I had slid the pipes into the mufflers as far as I could when I installed it, so I loosened up the clamps, slid the pipes out a bit front and back, took care of that problem.
  7. neoclasiccl

neoclasiccl Founding Member

I had this problem on my old GT with the Steeda cat back. It turned out to bet the tailpipes hitting the top of the rear axle. I would look under your car and check your suspension travel and look for some marks on the pipes.