Exhaust Question

ThePope

Nov 3, 2006
Huntington, NY
Hello guys. I wanted everyone opinion on this. I'm getting a 1998 Ford Mustang GT 5 speed tomorrow from a guy in my area. Car is all stock. The first thing I wanted to do was put a nice cat-back exhaust on it. Im looking for a exhaust system that sounds great and I wanna be able to hear it from a long distance. LOL I was looking at the flowmaster kits and the MAC kits. I wanted to know if anyone has a preference and if so, can give me a part number as well. Thanks for the input everyone.

Anthony :)

• Sponsors (?)

A catback still using the stock H pipe can only get so loud.

For all out loud Magnaflow Magnapacks or SLP LoudMouths are gonna do it. BE WARNED ABOUT THE LOUDMOUTS!!! If you ever switch out the stock mid pipe for a catless one it will be INCREDIBLY loud, lol.

Mac and Flowmaster give it a good "classic" muscle car sound. I have a Mac Flowpath catback with a catless X pipe and it sounds amazing now. I chose to leave the tail pipes off for an even deeper/more agressive tone.

hi,

I had Flowmaster 40's dual chamber with stock system "H" pipe ect.. It sounded nice, but i didn't like the drone and Hwy speed.
Note I am running 4.10's so my RPM are a little higher at hwy speeds.

I just changed the whole system for a 2' 1/2 BasaniX and NO drone sounds is fab I love it.
When you hit +3500 rpm it really wakes up and is quite loud. :hail2:

On a 96-98 GT.. just adding a catback will barely change the tone b/c of our 6 cat hpipe.

Agreed. The stock mid pipe is not only restrictive for sound, but also performance. IMO, I would start there, then choose an appropriate catback to match your choice of catted/non-catted X or H pipe. You also have to choose between Stainless and aluminized depending on the area and weather you drive in.

Just an update, I got the GT as I talked about in my first post. The car already has a nice flowmaster catback on it already which sounds sweet. Plus the car has a nice cold air intake. I'm very happy with the car till about an hour ago. The upper intake got a hair line crack that caused coolent to leak out. I know that the upper intakes arent great on the 4.6 for these years. So for now, I put on some JB Weld so it will get my by for a couple of days. Then I am going to replace it with a new one. Is it recommended that a ford one is put on or an aftermarket one. I found one at advanced auto parts for $277.00. If anyone has comments, please do. Thanks :)

I would get this one, which is made for the 96-98 4.6. Its cheaper than the one that you listed, and is better than the Dorman (aftermarket, stock replacement) an autoparts store will have. Many will argue that the Dorman is a good intake , but I have had problems with it in the past.