Exhaust Question

familyman

May 19, 2015
Forgive me if this has been asked previously. My 1999 GT has Flowmaster 40s and no other changes. I am wondering about a new catted X-pipe but wonder why I would need to spend $400 when I could just replace the stock h-pipe with an x-pipe. Anyone out there done this simple switch?

• Sponsors (?)

You can replace the stock H-Pipe with a HF catted or non-catted X-Pipe, or a HF catted or non-catted H-Pipe. UPR has HF X-Pipes for like $200. But you'll need to also run either MIL eliminators or tune it out so you don't get a DTC.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not talking about replace the entire midpipe, rather, just cutting out the h-section and replacing with an x-section. so no cats will be removed at all. I have been told that the only difference will be the sound so I am wondering how it will be different.

I am not talking about replace the entire midpipe, rather, just cutting out the h-section and replacing with an x-section. so no cats will be removed at all. I have been told that the only difference will be the sound so I am wondering how it will be different.
X raspy sound h muscle car sound

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the reason people don't just modify the pipes is because of the time/labor investment. It's much easier to just swap the pipes, and time is money. ;) Most people just buy an off-road x and put the cats back on if necessary for testing.