Exhaust Questions

Hey Everybody- Finally decided to upgrade out of the stock single exhaust and am looking at my options. I noticed that there is a header set (I think by MAC?) that doesnt require a power steering drop- anybody tried these or have any opinions? Would prefer to avoid have to bother with it- Also wanted to use the stock GT look (already have the rear GT valance and want to use it finally!) but need to get the tips and valance painted- anybody have any guesses on cost?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Ive heard about these headers but I havent seen them yet.

I recommend that you find the headers and mufflers you want, and take it all to your local (not a chain) competent muffler shop and be right there whilst they install a dual system for you. That way you can advise at every step.

Pre-fit 'systems' from a catalog dont fit as often as they do. :notnice:

I wouldn't weigh the P/S adater real big in your header decision. The cost is pretty minor ($20). I have Tri-Ys with P/S. The adapter drops the power ram about 1 1/2" which gives you plenty of clearance on most long tube headers. Mine are ceramic coated, so I don't have a big heat issue. If you opt for non-coated headers, you may want to use some heat resistant wrap on the ram.

I wish I knew who made em, but I am running long tube headers, ps, and no drop. I bought up around 1989 from a guy that had em in the back of a junk car in his backyard. Currently I am running those, with 2.5 inch dual delta 40 flowmasters. Used flowmaster over axle pipes and had a shop custom install the setup. Hpipe and cutouts just aft of the hpipe. Sounds good, but is a little loud. Flows REALLY well.

Seattle67Fstbck said:
Hey Everybody- Finally decided to upgrade out of the stock single exhaust and am looking at my options. I noticed that there is a header set (I think by MAC?) that doesnt require a power steering drop- anybody tried these or have any opinions? Would prefer to avoid have to bother with it- Also wanted to use the stock GT look (already have the rear GT valance and want to use it finally!) but need to get the tips and valance painted- anybody have any guesses on cost?
Thanks!

I use Hipo exhaust manifolds with gasket matched heads. Also Flowmaster Deltaflow 50 series and 2.25" pipe that has been mandrel bent so flow is steady. No GT rear valance as of yet, but I'm going to. However, I'm not going to use the stock tips because they are restrictive so I'll use 2.25" open tips out the valance. Don't forget the balance tube. Without it you'll lose torque, bottom end and HP. I tried it both ways and that is what I learned. I don't have (and won't have) power steering, but if you have a decent shop do the system for you, they'll do the P/S drop.

VictorII said:
However, I'm not going to use the stock tips because they are restrictive so I'll use 2.25" open tips out the valance. Don't forget the balance tube. Without it you'll lose torque, bottom end and HP. I tried it both ways and that is what I learned.
What is a balance tube? Are you talking about a H or X pipe? Im just going to have a the exhaust shop fab up one when the system is installed

Ozsum2 said:
True, but what about all the guys who claim to have broken something because it creates a weak point from metal fatigue?

I actually dont see how this is true unless the metal they used for the drop was crap. I have it on my car and my biggest gripe is that you can see it. Either way I think my hedmans hang to low, by the time I lower the car to where I want it Im not sure they are going to work anymore.

VictorII said:
No GT rear valance as of yet, but I'm going to. However, I'm not going to use the stock tips because they are restrictive so I'll use 2.25" open tips out the valance.
Does somebody wanna fill me in on the part about the stock tips- arent they just a single inlet dual outlet tip for both sides? Why/How could that possibly be so restrictive compared to the way that piping has to be run over the axle? Would tips really make that big a deal?

Seattle67Fstbck said:
Does somebody wanna fill me in on the part about the stock tips- arent they just a single inlet dual outlet tip for both sides? Why/How could that possibly be so restrictive compared to the way that piping has to be run over the axle? Would tips really make that big a deal?

They are 1 7/8 diameter at the inlet. Not good if you have wider pipes. They are not a single piece. There are two tips and one each is welded to the end of the pipe.

Ozsum2 said:
True, but what about all the guys who claim to have broken something because it creates a weak point from metal fatigue?

i had the exhaust shop weld it to the frame for me bacause it creats more leverage, putting a-lot more stress on the in-frame nuts. before i had it welded, it was a royal pita.

after, it was fine. yes it can be a pain, but afteri had it welded, no prob.