Exhaust shop prices?

1987Rock

May 2, 2007
I'm getting Magnapacks put in place of my Flows so I went around and got some estimates today. I hate letting other people work on my car, but I'm in college and don't have a shop/welder. Is it just me or has exhaust work gotten outrageous?

The lowest quote I got for the complete cat-back was $667!! :jaw: I could've bought the Magnapack kit for less! (but I couldn't afford it :( )

Anyway, so I just decided to have them spliced into what I've got now and the lowest is still between $120-160. I know there's some pipe bending involved, but it's minimal, only the flow tubes need to be changed. That just seems high to me, especially in South Georgia (near Savannah). idk, just needed to vent a little.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to independent exhaust shops or chain shops? (big difference)

Get on some local boards in your area....usually there are guys with welders at home that will do it for cheap. Or some boards have sponsors that give the members discounts.

I've never heard of that. What places rent them?

Would be good for someone who can weld.....frustrating for someone who is a rookie :bang:

I did a quick search and found this in MI:

Rent Rite - Equipment Rental and Party Rental in Mount Pleasant and Alma, MI

Not sure if Deopt/Lowes rent this stuff or not. I would call equipment rental places as most do not have websites and/or list what they rent online.

Good luck guys. I would just think that you can probably rent for 4 hours for $20-$40.... Cheaper than those prices...

well, I've got a welder at home and a buddy at home that could do it for me (I've never welded pipes and don't wanna screw up my only car) but it's 4 hours away...I guess I'll just havta be patient:rolleyes:

Are you going to independent exhaust shops or chain shops? (big difference)

Get on some local boards in your area....usually there are guys with welders at home that will do it for cheap. Or some boards have sponsors that give the members discounts.

Mainly chain shops cuz I'm in the middle of podunk nowhere in college right now (Georgia Southern, Statesboro Ga). Seriously, if you woulda seen one of the private shops that's in town, you'd run for your life. :rlaugh:

I have a buddy that helps a guy with his NASA mustangs and he said he could probably do it for like $40 if I can wait till we go home for summer in may....i guess I'll havta try to wait:( :D

well, I would, but the flow tubes are different for the flows and magnapacks. I need new ones bent up...at this point, I may wait till I start making some money this summer and do the whole cat back. :shrug: That way I'll have 2 1/2 all the way back and get some nice tips too cuz mine are bent a little and they're old as hell
Course at that point, I may just get new headers, an o/r X and the cat back :D Don'tcha love how nothing is ever done and it always snowballs into more? :rlaugh:

here's a good example...I got rear ended a month ago and got $1000 for a $200 fix and found a good deal on a Cobra bumper so I got that, got some of the problems on the body fixed/painted and got the Cobra emblems to go on to...that's why I don't have much left for the exhaust! lol