Engine Exhaust Spitting On Ground

Martman

Jun 20, 2016
Louisville, KY
First a little info:
Recently purchased
91 GT 5 speed
all stock except CAI and pulleys (still has smog and A/C)
PO says the timing is at 14 but I have not confirmed
73K miles
I honestly think it has been driven fairly hard or not had great maintenance.

So as I was working on the A/C today with it idling for awhile (5-7 minutes) in the garage I noticed the black soot on the ground from the left exhaust only.

I am suspecting valve seats but I don't notice any smoke. Could this also be a sign of running rich or some other problem? Seemed to have a lot of condensation as well but the oil didn't indicate a head gasket problem when I changed it the other day. Car idles pretty well and performs ok but not great (of course it is stock compared to the 90 LX I had many moons ago).

I am not too concerned with it right now as my goal is to get chassis components refreshed/upgraded including sub frame connectors. Just curious so I can get myself edumacated. ;)

IMG_20160720_200610.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Most certainly had planned to do that tonight. Just curious if this initial pic causes something to jump out at them. Thanks for the guidance.

Does it have an O/R H or x pipe by chance? It could just be carbon in pipes and condensation (moisture) dripping out of the exhaust carrying the carbon with it. Follow the jrichker advice and also look at the plugs to see if its running rich.