Exhaust system that sounds like an old muscle car

• Sponsors (?)

I live in CA, therefore I can't remove the cats which sucks, but it is what it is. Would throwing an O/R H with my four cats and two 1 chamber flows sound louder but still good than just my stock H which is on now? Would I get a hp increase as well? What O/R H would you recommend getting? Thanks for your input!

I live in CA, therefore I can't remove the cats which sucks, but it is what it is. Would throwing an O/R H with my four cats and two 1 chamber flows sound louder but still good than just my stock H which is on now? Would I get a hp increase as well? What O/R H would you recommend getting? Thanks for your input!

buy an o/r h-pipe and put your stock h-pipe in storage. when it is time for smog inspection, put your stock h-pipe on temporarily, get it inspected, then switch it back out. an o/r h-pipe is an o/r h-pipe in my opinion. if you can flip the coin for one that is stainless steel, it will last longer, but it really doesnt matter.

buy an o/r h-pipe and put your stock h-pipe in storage. when it is time for smog inspection, put your stock h-pipe on temporarily, get it inspected, then switch it back out. an o/r h-pipe is an o/r h-pipe in my opinion. if you can flip the coin for one that is stainless steel, it will last longer, but it really doesnt matter.

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks. There's soo many brands though, BBK, MAC, etc...

Wow! They won't even sell to CA residents...

image.jpg

*edit-speaking from the 94-95 gt side of things.*

Summit will sell in ca, last time I bought.
But, the summit o/r h pipe is a bit shorter on the passenger side, iirc.
Didn't matter much to me,as I've always had an aftermarket cat back.
Since you've got a factory cat back with welded mufflers, any aftermarket mid pipe might lead to uneven tail pipes.
Something to keep in mind.

*edit-speaking from the 94-95 gt side of things.*

Summit will sell in ca, last time I bought.
But, the summit o/r h pipe is a bit shorter on the passenger side, iirc.
Didn't matter much to me,as I've always had an aftermarket cat back.
Since you've got a factory cat back with welded mufflers, any aftermarket mid pipe might lead to uneven tail pipes.
Something to keep in mind.

With the 10 series flows I have now, I had to add extra piping because the mufflers are so small. So it should be fine I'd think?

Thinking about it now, the summit o/r h pipe was almost 2 inches shorter on one side.
If the cat back I had at that time had been welded, it would've looked pretty ridiculous, haha.

Just last week I replaced the stock cat back and mid pipe. Used a Summit o/r H and the Flowmaster American Thunder system Someone made the comment that an H is an H and I have to disagree with that. The summit H fit good until It came time to tie it in to the cat back on the passenger side to the point that it would have miss-aligned the tips in the back. Solution was to unbolt the tali pipe to muffler clamp and pull some out until it was even with the drivers. Now that I have it all together I will break out the mig and weld everything up to get rid of the ugly clamps.

Being as I have never had a SN or new edge that was a hard top I wondered if the car being a 'vert or a hard top had anything to do with it. Prob not.

Had a similar issue with my old 96' GT with the summit o/r X and on top of that my exhaust developed a rattle around 2-3k that was driving me nuts and I hated the sound of the x so I bought a BBK. The BBK went on smooth and no rattles. Why I got cheap and bought another Summit Pipe this time around I have no clue. LOL.

Got a Mac on my Fox and it came in 3 pieces that made it a cinch to install and no middle H clamp to deal with.