Exhaust upgrade

I already searched.

Everyone has opinions, and I would like to read them.

Stock exhaust upgrade, Price: < $500. Goal: Deeper, louder sound than stock. No Emissions testing here (not yet at least).

What would you upgrade to??

Catback system? Catback + midpipe? Midpipe suggestions for stock exhaust manifolds??

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If your price range is less than $500 and you want a deeper sound, I'd get a MAC Prochamber Mid-pipe and just some weld-in Flowmasters. That should put you well within your budget. I have no personal experience with this system, but from people who have, it's a good low-budget exhaust upgrade. Also wouldn't hurt to remove the silencer and spend $50 on a K&N Filter...flows and sounds a bit better.

Prochamber will give you the desired sound. I would get it first and try it with your stock mufflers. If you want more, supplement it with a weld in mufflers. I have Prochamber and Magnaflow. About $100 more than your budget, but was well worth the $. Good Luck and keep us posted.

You bet and why not. You may like the stock mufflers with a aftermarket h-x-prochamber or whatever. Some do that. Lot is made of muffler sound. ANd it is important but the mid pipe makes almost as much difference as how it sounds going through the muffler. I found that out when I put the Chamber on. Magnaflow catback is really quiet at idle and motoring around town. Pair that with an offroad pipe of any kind will change alot. I will try to post a vid in my sig if you want to hear what it sound like now.

67GTA-FB429 said:
cat or no cats?? Does the o/r Prochamber make it 'smelly'??

vendor recommendations? Partshopper?

Yes the O/R Prochamber does give off a unburned gas smell. At first it bothered me but now I don't notice it unless I am downwind and I kinda like it (reminds me of early muscle cars). Partshopper is where I got mine. Remeber if you go with an O/R pipe of any kind you will need a tuner (expensive but does more than shut off sensors) or MIL eliminators (cheaper) to counter act having no cats.

big blue said:
Yes the O/R Prochamber does give off a unburned gas smell. At first it bothered me but now I don't notice it unless I am downwind and I kinda like it (reminds me of early muscle cars). Partshopper is where I got mine.

Then it will match my 67 BB. I am hoping to avoid the sulfur smell that catalytic converters make sometimes...

big blue said:
Remeber if you go with an O/R pipe of any kind you will need a tuner (expensive but does more than shut off sensors) or MIL eliminators (cheaper) to counter act having no cats.

You already answered my next question... :D Any advice on brand of MIL eliminator?

big blue said:
Prochamber will give you the desired sound. I would get it first and try it with your stock mufflers. If you want more, supplement it with a weld in mufflers. I have Prochamber and Magnaflow. About $100 more than your budget, but was well worth the $. Good Luck and keep us posted.

:stupid: Offroad Prochamber and Magnapacks here. I absolutely love the sound. Mind you so do most people with their particular set up. You just can't go wrong with a Stang :D .

hey I thought most people on here didn't like Mac products, is the pro-chamber the exception.....by the way I've always wanted the pro-chamber w/ the cats...all I have now is Magnaflows welded onto the stock aftercat and it sounds great!! my vote would be pro-chamber w/ magnaflows..

67GTA-FB429, I would buy the mil eliminators that are on the partshopper website. I think that dallas mustang makes them. They are a very easy to install. The most you have to do is trim tabs on one of the sensors and forgettaboutit. And if your like me and do your own installs and would like to be able to return the car to stock if you need to. This helps because you dont end up splicing wires. (The mils that you splice in are cheaper if that is a consideration.)

reallyquick4.6, I generally wouldn't buy MAC eigther. This happens to be the exception. (for me anyways) I just love the sound.

StangGT96, If you don't go to some form of fooling the sensors in the back you will trip a fault in the computer which registers the check engine light and throw the computer into "limp" mode. This "limp mode" was meant to help you get to the dealership without causing more damage by running the car at 100%. From the Ford Diagnostic tech I used to work with he said it would detune a car as much as 35hp-60hp. To me that seems like a lot and would want to avoid any situation that causes that. I have had the mil eliminators for about 2 months and the only problem I have had was my own fault for not reconnecting a vacum hose that I TOOK OFF. Other than that, a slight loss in mileage, gas odor, kick in the pants above 3k RPMs, and that incredible sound have been the results from the Prochamber installation.

big blue said:
67GTA-FB429, I would buy the mil eliminators that are on the partshopper website. I think that dallas mustang makes them. They are a very easy to install. The most you have to do is trim tabs on one of the sensors and forgettaboutit. And if your like me and do your own installs and would like to be able to return the car to stock if you need to. This helps because you dont end up splicing wires. (The mils that you splice in are cheaper if that is a consideration.)
Good advice. Thanks. Turning wrenches is not a problem...I do own a classic and I am used to it.

Are these the recommended products?
http://www.partshopper.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=64&catid=
http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Dallas-Mustang-MIL-Eliminators-89-04-m262.html

Hornetsnest said:
If your price range is less than $500 and you want a deeper sound, I'd get a MAC Prochamber Mid-pipe and just some weld-in Flowmasters. That should put you well within your budget. I have no personal experience with this system, but from people who have, it's a good low-budget exhaust upgrade. Also wouldn't hurt to remove the silencer and spend $50 on a K&N Filter...flows and sounds a bit better.
silencer? What is the silencer? I have a K&N in it already. :nice: Thanks.