Fox Expensive Struts/shocks Worth It?

Struts and shocks really are one of those things in life where you almost always get what you pay for, and it's almost always worth it. All else being equal, if you swapped out brand new KYB's for something like Bilsteins, you'd totally feel the difference and totally be happy with the investment. But most people don't get there, they get the KYB's and conclude things like "B springs ride bad".

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Really just to have a better ride. I might play around here and there. Nothing crazy.
What did you end up buying? One of my shocks is weeping, and may be from a 4cyl setup unless the v8 used the same factory setup. I have never been a fan of the lowered fox body look. Like to keep it stock looking. Not looking to race or corner at high speeds. I've seen some that have a taller stance, or was an illusion because of new factory height, but wasn't lowered by any means. The roads in Massachusetts get destroyed over the winter and in my past mustangs the bumpy roads made driving less enjoyable, the exhaust sound made me tolerate it. I'd be looking for something that doesn't roll in a corner but can handle the bumps and not feel like being kidney punched. Don't want to over pay for something I don't need or is unnecessary for normal driving.

Really just to have a better ride. I might play around here and there. Nothing crazy.
What did you end up buying? One of my shocks is weeping, and may be from a 4cyl setup unless the v8 used the same factory setup. I have never been a fan of the lowered fox body look. Like to keep it stock looking. Not looking to race or corner at high speeds. I've seen some that have a taller stance, or was an illusion because of new factory height, but wasn't lowered by any means. The roads in Massachusetts get destroyed over the winter and in my past mustangs the bumpy roads made driving less enjoyable, the exhaust sound made me tolerate it. I'd be looking for something that doesn't roll in a corner but can handle the bumps and not feel like being kidney punched. Don't want to over pay for something I don't need or is unnecessary for normal driving.

I run mach1/Bullitt springs for that reason. The roads here suck.

4cyl do use different struts and lack the quad shocks out back. You might want to confirm what you have before buying parts. 4 cyl brakes are 10" while the 5.0 are 10.9". Each uses a different spindle, and a different strut. So identifying the brakes will clue you in to your struts.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I run mach1/Bullitt springs for that reason. The roads here suck.

4cyl do use different struts and lack the quad shocks out back. You might want to confirm what you have before buying parts. 4 cyl brakes are 10" while the 5.0 are 10.9". Each uses a different spindle, and a different strut. So identifying the brakes will clue you in to your struts.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Hate to say it but suspension and exhaust are two areas where beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak,
Spring rate, stiffness of the shock AND tires all play a role, Maybe just replace your shocks with factory equals and see what you think, its a minimal investment for them even if you dont like the result you can get a different set up....

I may be the odd ball here....but I run Monro ( blue ) cheapies from a local parts store. They've held up for the past 5 years. My car has an IRS cobra rear and is lowered a little. Front shocks work great.

The difference between the spindles is that one is wider than the other, but the Monro struts come with a shim that makes them work on either set up.

I used to have Strange struts but didn't notice a difference when I changed them.

Any strut is better than a blown strut [emoji106] [emoji12]

I may be the odd ball here....but I run Monro ( blue ) cheapies from a local parts store. They've held up for the past 5 years. My car has an IRS cobra rear and is lowered a little. Front shocks work great.

The difference between the spindles is that one is wider than the other, but the Monro struts come with a shim that makes them work on either set up.

I used to have Strange struts but didn't notice a difference when I changed them.

Any strut is better than a blown strut [emoji106] [emoji12]
Just want it to drive like new. Yes, anything is better.

New struts and bad springs aren't going to help anything. Honestly if you are even posting in this thread you need a new spring/strut combo.

Reactions: 1 users
That would defeat the purpose of saving money don't you think?
Not at all, he's saying the cheaper shocks you were thinking of will be great since you're not competition oriented.

The Stange shocks are only about $75 each, they won't kill you bank account either.

Reactions: 1 users
New struts and bad springs aren't going to help anything. Honestly if you are even posting in this thread you need a new spring/strut combo.

Springs are very important, too. Especially when these cars are known to crack springs at the first rung ( in the control arm cup ).