Explain: What is bottoming out exactly?

downsouthman1

Dec 16, 2003
Texas
I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Is bottoming out (1) when something on the bottom of your car (ie. headers, K-member, gas tank, etc) hits the road, (2) when your tires hit your wheel wells or fenders, or is it (3) both?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know the exact terminology when dealing with suspension, but I've always thought of it as when the spring has compressed so much that it allows the shock or strut to become fully compressed, forcing it to make that awful "smack" noise we've all heard.

Otherwise, we also used to refer to the scrape you get when you take a lowered car straight backward or forward over a steep incline/decline.. causing the front spoiler, or rear valence to scrape. My '88 GT is GREAT for scraping the rear valence.

sgarlic said:
I don't know the exact terminology when dealing with suspension, but I've always thought of it as when the spring has compressed so much that it allows the shock or strut to become fully compressed, forcing it to make that awful "smack" noise we've all heard.

Otherwise, we also used to refer to the scrape you get when you take a lowered car straight backward or forward over a steep incline/decline.. causing the front spoiler, or rear valence to scrape. My '88 GT is GREAT for scraping the rear valence.
So bottoming out can also potentially mean that it is when your shock/strut becomes fully compressed, albeit even for only a brief moment? I thought that the shocks/struts were designed to fully compress; that's why they can be fully compressed.:shrug:

when i talk about bottoming out, its when something, (pro chamber for me) rubs/scrapes on the ground. i did this FOUR times in 1.5 days. i was so pissed. and my stang isnt even that low.... man

you can bottom out your suspension on the chassis, or you can bottom out the chassis... on the road...tire scrubbing is just that- the tires contacting the fenderwell (they are not designed for excessive lowering or grossly oversized tires)

bottoming out the suspension, or maxing out spring/strut/shock travel gives you a kick in the jaw and a violent bang felt throughout the car. this is really not good for your shock towers and the car in general.

bottoming out the chassis, or scraping, the car is kind of prepared for. most of the time, you'll scrape the k-member or k-member brace directly under the oil pan. the exhaust and gas tank are the next likely candidates to hit.. usually only the little thingies that stick out of the bottom of the tank are the only thing that make contact on it though (they look like little vents).

Neither do I. :)

008.JPG

Do I win the 4x4 award yet?

I have a K&N air filter... I would do some mods that make sense if I could only afford them :notnice:

I am not completely opposed to doing mods.

My car gets superb preventitive maintenance, after that there is never any money for mods.

Kilgore Trout said:
I have a K&N air filter... I would do some mods that make sense if I could only afford them :notnice:

I am not completely opposed to doing mods.

My car gets superb preventitive maintenance, after that there is never any money for mods.

If you're over 40k, do some good preventative maintenance to that trans then. Drop the valve body and do the j-mod and put a cooler on it and give it all a good cleaning. You'll really prolong trans life and youll LOVE the way it shifts. It's a pretty cheap mod (just cost of fluid, drill bits, maybe a valve body gasket) and easy if you've ever opened a tranny at all.

triggz said:
If you're over 40k, do some good preventative maintenance to that trans then. Drop the valve body and do the j-mod and put a cooler on it and give it all a good cleaning. You'll really prolong trans life and youll LOVE the way it shifts. It's a pretty cheap mod (just cost of fluid, drill bits, maybe a valve body gasket) and easy if you've ever opened a tranny at all.
Thanks for the advice :nice: I have changed the tranny fluid (not the fluid in the TC when I did it though). I have read the j-mod website and been thinking about the stuff you mention. I agree it needs to be done.

Holy crap there's some funny posts on this thread! :rlaugh:

I liked the 4x4 stang picture....OMG that thing is U.G.L.Y UGLY! That thing looks like something Dodge would make and name after some cool old muscle car. Just wait the ugliest car must be comming they haven't done a Road Runner yet! :rlaugh: That company knows how to ruin a good name!
Oooo wait, I bet they bring back the Dodge Fart...I mean Dart. And it will look like a stupid Kia or something.

Thanks for the read guys!