Explorer Intake Questions.

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok. I found a guy who sells them locally for cheap, but they seam to be mix and match. I know the lower intake can be different. In wanting to keep my egr , so I need the lower with the hole in the center, are there any differences in the uppers?

Same question for the throttle body.

I'm looking for how to visually inspect them. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

If you plan on keeping your EGR, you want both the upper and lower that have the EGR passage in the middle of the manifold. Other than that, the later models have the little bung on the top driver side for the throttle cable that you can grind off smooth. Other than that, both are the same and you will need to drill and tap the #5 boss for the IAT and the passenger rear boss for the water bypass tube unless you score the explorer coolant tubes

Throttle body is the same- 65mm..

Try and put all the questions in one post as it is easier to read and answer.

The lower is tapped for the IAT. Can't see the rear of the lower so I don't know if it is tapped for the coolant line. No it doesn't have the metal coolant lines- if you are transferring over the ones from your mustang and plan on keeping the heat you need to tap the lower intake for the hose off the firewall and the EGR.

For the EGR that is a personal preference, but I would say keep it as it does not reduce any negligible horsepower and removing it causes codes and drive ability issues in colder weather. You need a pic of them apart to see if it is an EGR or NON EGR intake.

Looking at the upper

looks like the two long upper bolts are there, he tapped it for some vacuum lines, and it has the bung for the throttle cable which you should cut/grind off as it is not needed. There's no TB/EGR studs or TB assembly. You can reuse your old lower intake bolts as long as they are not stretched or stripped. Check the PCV grommet and screen as well.

How much is he asking for this? If it's over 75 to 100 it's too much. You can get the whole intake and TB at most junkyards for less than $100.