explorer intake

the explorer intake IS in the ford staggered round family, and believe it or not, the explorer upper actually OUTFLOWS the gt40 and the cobra.

But, Alas, the lower. Sit a gt40 or a cobra lower next to an explorer, and chances are you wont be able to see a diffrence, but listen carefully: The explorer lower DOES not flow as whell as the others, there is the problem. Now, porting can easily fix this. however

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't claim that the Explorer intakes are bad in any way. Perhaps other intakes make more power if you cam and rev the motors with decent heads and such but the Explorer unit is a very nice street intake. I used one on my last NMRA FS car and made 310 rwhp through it completely untouched. That's nearing the limit of what you can do with one but on the street that's a good amount for how cheap they can be had. Plus, they make decent torque which is nice on the street.

95cobradude said:
aside from flow numbers the explorer intake is ****in ugly as sin, lets leave those for the suvs and keep our trusty cobras and gt-40's for our cars.

Yet another problem. Agreed. But wait until I get finished with mine! You will ALL want one! J/K .... but I do have some serious changes taking place.

BTW ... I will not disclose any information at this time ..... nor will I ever .... I'll just post pics when I get finished.

Ex's arent the prettiest when Silver as they're kinda tall/bulky...Black seems to cut em down some...I ran one for abit....gave anoticable nice midrange hit...that was compared to a Tmoss ported stock set-up, which was pretty decent in itself..
ex_painted.jpg

They have a chit load of vac lines, no shortage there...:D With stock VC's you should be fine...adding taller ones is when the spacers come into play...

Yeah you should see mine. I never bothered to clean all the greasy handprints off of it after installing it, it's fugly, lol! I don't really give a crap what it looks like though. I wouldn't, in a million years, buy (or not buy) an engine part based on what it looks like. But I'm an engineer so functionality is always first in my mind.

Hey RIO, that elbow looks familiar, lol.

here is my clean-ish upper that goes to a tmoss ported lower.

642232_20_full.jpg

642232_21_full.jpg

I am going to clean up that front bolt hole alittle and repaint it, and paint the 5.0 plate cover dealy jobber.

I sanded and painted my elbow the same color and it helps clean it up also.

I realy have no explanation to the "runs like crap"...like said above for the price and flow (in all gt40 family) the explorer is one hellova deal. There have been so many dyno tests done with that intake and it is still after all these years realy hard to beat for a street 302 or even mild stroker.

If you're kind of re-doing it ...... if I were you .... I'd remove that spark plug wire holder thingy on the side. You can cut it off, then drill out the grooves really nice (like someone on here did) and sand it smooth. No one will ever know it was there. Just a thought. :D

So who is Tmoss,where can he be contacted and what does he charge to do the porting on the intakes? I have a complete 96 unit with throttle body that I just picked up today.

SeventyMach1 said:
If you're kind of re-doing it ...... if I were you .... I'd remove that spark plug wire holder thingy on the side. You can cut it off, then drill out the grooves really nice (like someone on here did) and sand it smooth. No one will ever know it was there. Just a thought. :D

IF you look close at that part you will see a cut line already there...my last cutoff wheel broke and I just didnt get it off...it is coming off, just didnt post that as all I was doing.

sorry to bring up an old post, but i have some questions! i'm looking to head to the junkyard this coming week and snagging one of these (especially since the local yard quotes manifolds at a verrrrrrry low price, hehe). what should i grab besides the upper and lower intake manifold? is the throttle body worth taking? any vac lines i need to snag? i know the elbow is useless.....

oh and what kind of paint have you all had success with on these intakes? any specific brand? i assume one of the heat resistant brands...

thanks in advance, and sorry for digging up an old post!