export brace fitment ... probably a dumb question !!

I've just got a chrome export brace and monte carlo bar for my 65 f/b. I have never seen a car *in the flesh* so to speak, with an export brace fitted and just want to know if I remove, or leave in place the existing braces from the firewall to shock towers ... also if I do leave them will I need longer bolts?
I know most of you guys in the States can go and have a look at one and see for yourself, but I have only seen 2 other Mustangs here in Spain in the last 2 years !!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the info ... although I am dreading the installation .... I just know it will be a really bad fit. I have just tried to fit the m/c bar and the fit (distance wise) between the shock towers is OK it is just that the bolt holes don't line up ... I put the 2 top bolts on and tightened them down, but the 2 down the shick tower are about a quarter inch out :bang: I think that I will have to do some *technical adjustment* with a big hammer tomorrow (too hot now at 36 deg C.) it seems that the angle of the top bracket is wrong on both sides ... the only thing is it is chromed, so I am a bit worried about beating on it in a vice too much because the chrome may flake off or something. You can see now why I am a bit apprehensive about the export brace as that is a real thick, heavy, non-bendable bit of kit.

First but a jack under the cross brace under the engine and "spread the engine bay-shocktowers out so the MC brace fits. If after you have it in with no drilling, the x brace should go if it were made correctly.

I think the problem is the thing isn't made correctly .... it does fit between the towers ok, both when on the ground and when up on jackstands.
I had the same trouble with the repro outer shock covers which I had to make fit a bolt at a time and using a big philips screwdriver to force the holes to line up ... I'm sure that this is pretty normal with repro stuff made possibly somewhere in the far east ... just a slight change in the tooling or materials can cause all sorts of havoc.
I will try *prising and levering* tomorrow before resorting to the big hammer solution. Probably that, with a little judicious filing of holes and it may fit :)

Jack stands aren't the answer, The put the same force on the front und as if it were on the ground. The jack needs to be centered under the cross fram to get both sides to relax.