F or B cam for my explorer motor

well I got an explorer motor for 600$ w/48k from the local junk that my friend owns...

I'm trying to keep this low budget.. meaning I dont want to spend over 1k in engine..

that leaves me with alphabet cams and explorer intakes/throttlebodys :)

I want to do spring/cam/rockers bolt it down w/ my mac longtubes & Dr Gas X pipe and make 280rwhpish...

I've been out of 5.0's for a while and NGK was always the sparkplug to get for LS1's .. but what do you guys reccomend for what will be a spray car.. and I dont want to change the plugs very much once the engine is in the car..

I was also debating B cam with 1.7 Crane Cobra rockers
or
F cam with Ford Racing 1.6 rockers..

reccomended timing chain & springs?

and lastly.. for an engine that hasnt been ran in about 6 months.. what kinda oil do you reccomend? also what kinda oil do you reccomend for max N/A effort when I got the engine back to running state

• Sponsors (?)

I would not put the Crane 1.7's on anything. Their cheap powdered metal pedestals crack regularly. They are JUNK!

I have the B303 with FRPP 1.72:1 rockers and those same pedestal stands. What I would do now is get the TF Stage 1 cam which is cheaper than either the B or F cam, makes more power than the B or F cam AND sounds as good or better than either the B or F cam. Then I'd take the difference for the cams purchase price and add it to the cost of the junky Crane Cobra rockers and add a little extra ( I know you are tryign to keep budget but this is nessacary to not deal with the sh-hitty powedered metal pedestals) and buy the Steeda 1.6:1 bolt down rockers.

treat it like a new motor go to the store and get the cheap stuff to run in it for about 100-200 miles then do an oil change if the stuff commin out is real nasty do it again... if it looks good change your filter and put the good stuff in.

stang2841 said:
the TFS cam is not designed AT ALL for P style heads...

thats why I didnt list it..

why not?? Will it hurt it? If you have the P heads, you'll only be so lucky to get those mac headers to fit, are they mac p headers? Also, the pistons are hyper pistons, so be careful with the spray.

my bro is running a tfs stage one cam and 1.6's on his 96 explorer engine, but he's got the regular gt40's.

i'm running a stock ho cam and 1.7's on my engine (about to fire it for the first time) but was thinking of switching to a tfs 1 cam and 1.6's down the line, and am curious as to why you think a tfs cam would be a worse selection over an alphabet cam.

stang2841 said:

why not?? Will it hurt it? If you have the P heads, you'll only be so lucky to get those mac headers to fit, are they mac p headers? Also, the pistons are hyper pistons, so be careful with the spray.

my bro is running a tfs stage one cam and 1.6's on his 96 explorer engine, but he's got the regular gt40's.

i'm running a stock ho cam and 1.7's on my engine (about to fire it for the first time) but was thinking of switching to a tfs 1 cam and 1.6's down the line, and am curious as to why you think a tfs cam would be a worse selection over an alphabet cam.

stang2841 said:

stang2841 said:
and everybody has the TFS1 cam :)

Because it's cheap and it works. I believe it's the cheapest roller cam you can buy, much less one that's worth a damn.

I also believe it offers better durations than the B or F cams.

And wayyyy more people have the B303 since it's been on the market for like almost 20 years now.

stang2841 said:
nvm I will go elsewhere for this opinion.

What ever. You asked for an opinion, I gave mine and backed it with why I felt that way and you didn't like it so you are gonna go else where till you are told what you want to hear.

I also said if it's between B or F I'd go with the F.

There isn't a need to get mad about anything, you said you were one a budget and i was just letting you know there are other cams out there that are cheaper than the FMS cams. You also said the P heads don't flow well over .500 lift, so why would you then put 1.7's on the B cam and make the lift .510? The F cam is also over .500 lift. I know you were saying you didn't want the TFS because you don't think it has enough duration, but i don't get why you said the P heads don't flow well over .500 lift, were you saying that in reference to the TFS cam having .510 lift on the exhaust?

stang2841 said:
I'm trying to keep this low budget.. meaning I dont want to spend over 1k in engine..

that leaves me with alphabet cams and explorer intakes/throttlebodys

Dude that is what you said. He was trying to help you out by saying that the TFS1 cam will yield better results than an alphabet cam AND be cheaper.

I would of thought that you would of appreciated him saying than since you are on a low budget and all. :notnice: