f150 heads

1red95gt

Dec 22, 2006
Three Rivers, Mi
I wasn't sure where to post this but does anyone know whats all needed to put PI heads on a '98 f150. My valve seals leak and I have a head gasket going bad. I also got a smoking deal on a set of stage 2 patriot heads. I know what is needed to change the heads out on the mustangs. But if anyone knows please reply thanks.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

It's a direct swap from what I recal. New head bolts and head gaskets are probably all that's needed. Your previous intake gaskets are likely reusable, but you won't know until you get them off and inspect them. And assuming the pre-99 4.6L truck engine is the same as the pre-99 4.6L in the passenger vehicles, get ready to start running a steady diet 91-octane fuel. The compression might just shoot up to the 10.2-10.4:1 mark.

Personally though, I think a set of ported PI heads is way overkill for your truck. What you gain in peek horsepower, you'll probably give up in off idle torque. And one thing you're going to want to keep in that 5,500lb monster is all the torque down low you can.

the torque problem I was thinking about in the back of my head......I an exhaust shop install new headers, catless side exhaust system (like the lightning) killed the down low torque....i'll fiqure something out but thanks for the info!