F150 Question (Still Tech though and you guys > other forums)

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
Moorhead, Minnesota
My dads truck has recently decided (since the cooler weather has arrived, teens to single digits) that it doesn't want to start after sitting for extended periods of time. I've heard it twice and it sounds like everything is working fine, no weird noises or anything, it just doesn't fire. He said it took about 45 minutes to get it going one morning...you turn the key and it turns over fine, starter is working fine, but it just doesn't fire and doesn't fire. He said he had to take a hair dryer on it for about 15 minutes one morning before it finally started up. Thinking it might be crappy gas he added 2 cans of HEET I think and injector cleaner and drove it around after filling it with that, hoping that would fix it, but it didn't. Any ideas on what would cause it to not want to start like this?

I was initially thinking maybe there was a leak in the fuel line somewhere causing pressure to bleed off but I don't think a leak would not allow it to start for 45 minutes, you'd think the pump would re pressurize it right away. Bad fuel pump? Plugs?

It's also odd in that when it sits overnight he says it always doesn't want to start in the morning...Now he gets up at 330-4ish to go to work so im still sleeping and haven't witnessed it in the morning, but by then it's been sitting in the cold for 10ish hours probably. Yesterday after it had sat outside for about 5 hours he tried and it fired up right away. Got home, let it sit for like 5, and it took about 5 minutes for it to start up...We're at a loss and are probably going to be bringing it in when my parents get back from San Fransisco but we are trying our best to figure it out so the stealership doesn't try rape us with unrelated things.

• Sponsors (?)

Randy its a 2001 I believe

Scratch that, no block heater...he's never had this problem before though so obviously it's a new development.

Also he just told me that this morning he tried cranking it for a bit and it didn't go, so he held his foot down on the gas and tried, didn't go, let his foot off and tried and it started up.

Randy its a 2001 I believe

Scratch that, no block heater...he's never had this problem before though so obviously it's a new development.

Also he just told me that this morning he tried cranking it for a bit and it didn't go, so he held his foot down on the gas and tried, didn't go, let his foot off and tried and it started up.

sorry:D what engine. 4.2, 4.6 or 5.4?

yeah, we ran the vin # and nothing came up, I did talk to the tech and he said for your dad to hold down the thrttl pedal and see if it starts. also is the PATS light flashing? and Dennis said to go and disconnect the plug going to the crank sensor for a few secs and re-conneck and see if that helps?

Alright i'll have to see if he left his keys anywhere...Both parents just left for San Fransisco and he's pretty protective of his truck/keys so I might have to wait 4 days to figure it out...thanks for the help thus far!