"Factory" ASC power sunroof in '70 Mustang?

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 1320stang, Jan 9, 2006.

1. 1320stang

Founding Member

2. Jester67

Jester67 New Member

Someone on here was talking about one of these a couple of weeks ago and IIRC they said it was the same as the cougar one.

3. ForceFed70

ForceFed70 That's why they call it "dope"
    Founding Member

I might have believed him had it not been for this part!
    It only took 2 months to build the whole car...yet the additional sunroof added another 3 months to the build time. :rolleyes

4. bnickel

Founding Member

the cars had to dhipped to ASC for the conversion and they did mustangs as well cougars, lincolns, t-bird and even other companies cars, in fact i believe they also installed the sunroofs on hurst olds cars that were ordered with that option, so 3 months turn around doesn't sound out of line at all to me.

5. ForceFed70

ForceFed70 That's why they call it "dope"
    Founding Member

Ahh.. OK, that makes more sence.

6. Jester67

Jester67 New Member

“This is the only know 1970 Ford Mustang with a power sunroof”

If it is a power sunroof why does the ASC button say manual operation?

7. strange65

strange65 New Member

"In 1965 Shelby started installing sunroofs in the Shelby De Mexico's."

This part is BS. In 65 you could not import fastbacks or verts to Mexico only coupe's.
    Shelby de Mexico did not start making Shelby's till 1967 and they were all coupe's. edit: Forgot to mention, the owner of Shelby de Mexico, Eduardo Velazquez was previously making sunroof's. But they were never installed on the Shelby's. He also made a Shelby Maverick. The Shelby's had fiberglass sail's that extended the roofline and were covered with vinyl.

8. bnickel

Founding Member

actually there are several pics around of 2 of the original 66 shelby de'mexico cars and they both had sunroofs and they were race cars (rally) to boot. ASC was also the company responsible for going the 67 cougar xr7-G's as well, and most of those, if not all, came with the sunroof as well. there is a pic at streetgrande69's website www.trinitysmustangs.com that shows a red 70 coupe with a white "landau" vinyl top with opera windows in the c-pillars and a factory power sunroof. if i can dig up the pic i'll post it here.

9. strange65

strange65 New Member

actually there are several pics around of 2 of the original 66 shelby de'mexico cars and they both had sunroofs and they were race cars (rally) to boot. ASC was also the company responsible for going the 67 cougar xr7-G's as well, and most of those, if not all, came with the sunroof as well. there is a pic at streetgrande69's website www.trinitysmustangs.com that shows a red 70 coupe with a white "landau" vinyl top with opera windows in the c-pillars and a factory power sunroof. if i can dig up the pic i'll post it here.

They are not Shelby de Mexico, They were real Shelby's used 1966 " R" model notchback's that he got from Shelby in 67 IIrc correctly he only got one.
    But the owner was making sunroof's before he started making the shelby's.
    The picture you are referring to is a 1965 G.T. Prepared by Shelby but registered as a 1965 Mustang G.T.

10. 65Mustang2+2

65Mustang2+2 New Member

That’s NOT the switch for the sunroof that is the cap that covers a screw; it’s the back up way to close the roof if the motor dies or if your battery dies. This is a very rare Mustang, and yes ASC did do the Cougar sunroof in the
    1968 XR7-G cars, I owned one! It's more common to see the Cougar with them because in 67-68 the Cougar had no Convertibles, so you’ll see them more often! American Sunroof Corp. in a Mustang is rare, so if you’ve got the money I’d buy and restore it.

11. 1320stang

Founding Member

2+2=4, 6x6=36, the square root of 256 is 16, 1x0=1. Just because part of that is wrong, doesn't make the whole thing wrong. Who here hasn't put out some info that wasn't totally correct? If you get some info from an original owner of something who's had it for 40+ years, the mind gets cobwebs and things get crosswired sometimes.

I don't know the owner and have never seen the car, but what I've seen from the pics looks like it's done really well. Seems like you posts something like this, the conspiracy theorists come out of the woods, LOL!!! I actually got a post edited on another board calling a guy a conspiracy theorist, they told me there was no name calling, LOL!!!