Exhaust Factory Exhaust Manifolds

You could just look for an early 1996 explorer and see if it has standard GT-40 heads.

Will save you in cost over the P heads as you can use any standard Mustang header.

Still need to upgrade the springs

Will the GT-40 NOT P heads have EGR and AIR ports that will work with the stock Mustang's systems? I know the later Explorer manifolds do not have the EGR passage in the middle.

• Sponsors (?)

Will the GT-40 NOT P heads have EGR and AIR ports that will work with the stock Mustang's systems? I know the later Explorer manifolds do not have the EGR passage in the middle.

They (and the P's) do not have the thermactor air ports. Only the Cobra Gt-40's have the thermactor ports.

Both have the EGR passages. The later manifolds just don't have the passage.

They (and the P's) do not have the thermactor air ports. Only the Cobra Gt-40's have the thermactor ports.

Both have the EGR passages. The later manifolds just don't have the passage.

I was hoping the earlier ones had the thermactor air ports. So this swap fails at a good emissions visual inspections and will throw the code for a clogged crossover pipe, right? Do we have any work around a for this missing feature?

I was hoping the earlier ones had the thermactor air ports. So this swap fails at a good emissions visual inspections and will throw the code for a clogged crossover pipe, right? Do we have any work around a for this missing feature?

I honestly don't know how the system would react. Those ports are only used during cold start so the air pump can dump air into the exhaust ports of the heads so that the pre-cats can do their job properly. Once warmed up, the directer sends the air pump flow down to the main cats.

You might get a code, but it's not one of the codes that trips the CEL, so the light wouldn't be on. With the bypass and diverter valves hooked up, visually it would look and function well, you would just have no flow so the O2 sensors might catch on to this...but I don't think it would trip the light.

So it would pass a visual, so if no tailpipe sniffer i would think you'd be ok?

I removed my diverter valve and just ran straight from the bypass valve to the cats. No crossover whatsoever, never had a problem with it getting inspected, but did get codes on koer when it went to test the diverter valve. As mentioned they won't throw a CEL.

I think I am guilty of derailing or at least side tracking. Sorry!

Re routing the AIR straight to the cats or capping off the unused outlet of the divertor valve should pass the sniffer, and only a Mustang/Ford savy inspector would notice the crossover pipe gone from way back there. But such folks still exist.

I do not know if the accessory bracket holes in the head line up with the cross over tube's bolt holes. If so. it would still look right. I do not think using JB Weld to hold the pipe on is a great idea.

I think I am guilty of derailing or at least side tracking. Sorry!

Re routing the AIR straight to the cats or capping off the unused outlet of the divertor valve should pass the sniffer, and only a Mustang/Ford savy inspector would notice the crossover pipe gone from way back there. But such folks still exist.

I do not know if the accessory bracket holes in the head line up with the cross over tube's bolt holes. If so. it would still look right. I do not think using JB Weld to hold the pipe on is a great idea.

It's been some time since i've looked at a GT40P head but IIRC, the holes for the ports just weren't drilled through, but the bolt holes were there to bolt the crossover up