Fan Module Out, Or So Mechanic Says...

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
So my car has been overheating lately, and I haven't really driven it in 3 weeks (about the time it started overheating), so I finally decided to take it to a mechanic.

I was told last night that the diagnosis would be $45. He's now saying $95.
Their labor rate is $95/hour.

He said that my fan module, which controls more than just the fan, is bad. He said the part will be $365 to obtain from the dealer, which is the only place it can be obtained, so he says.

After tax, it comes out to roughly $650. This is a large chunk of money. He said he would charge me $95 for diagnosis + $365 for the part + $110 for the labor (originally he said 142.50 for 1.5 hours, but he "wanted" to cut me a deal). After taxes, that comes out to roughly $650.

Now, $365 for a ****ing fan module seems very steep. Is this likely the problem? My car also does not hold a charge very well when it's sitting. Could this be the cause of the module? He said the modules controls various things, from the fan, to the charging system, to some solenoids in the transmission.

He currently has the module out of the car because "it is required to take it out to get the part number off of it to give to the dealer." He ordered the part without my consent. I haven't signed any papers, only wrote my information down. He also mentioned that the car will not currently start with the module out, and it is sitting indoors, and that if I drop $200 off and pay him the rest Thursday (when I get paid), that will be fine with him.

All I wanted was a freakin' diagnosis...I wanted to fix the **** myself.

So...what should I do?

Thanks guys (and gals).

P.S. Can someone please look this module up in a Haynes or Chilton and scan the page for me? My manuals are back in Texas...go figure. Thank you!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Tell the guy what you want to do and see if you can pay him for the work he has done. I don't know if the Module is just a plug and play, but it shouldn't be too hard for him to put it back in.

You should look in the junkyards... I would imagine you could find something less expensive??

The fan module in mine went out, but there is a way to bypass it with two 30 amp relays (two to handle the 60amps for the fan). you can wire it to have your high or low speed on anytime the key is on. my friend did it for me because im electronics impaired but i think its only like $15 a pop for the relays so that should save you some money if you can figure it out.

That is a ridiculous price. Tell him to get boned. I'll fly up there with my used one and fix it for you for half that price.

Did you havce a thread about you issues before? Seems like you did...waht were the symptoms again?

96SLPGT:

Running the fan "too much" can lead to fan failure. No flame intended, just a heads up to give your fan a rest, lol.

topless98gt:

The fan is controlled by the CCRM (and the PCM). A new CCRM is about $150 locally so I think there's some negotiating room on parts prices especially since the Canuki dollar is worth more than the Yankee dollar these days! Tell your mechanic/technician that Zellers is cutting prices by 5 to 25%. Shop time here (posted on the wall at the local Ford shop) is $85/hr so maybe $95 is not out of line?

Chris

Did you havce a thread about you issues before? Seems like you did...waht were the symptoms again?
Yes, I am pretty sure I had a post about this previously, but it received no support, so I finally took it to a mechanic.

topless98gt:

The fan is controlled by the CCRM (and the PCM). A new CCRM is about $150 locally so I think there's some negotiating room on parts prices especially since the Canuki dollar is worth more than the Yankee dollar these days! Tell your mechanic/technician that Zellers is cutting prices by 5 to 25%. Shop time here (posted on the wall at the local Ford shop) is $85/hr so maybe $95 is not out of line?

Chris
Who is Zellers? I understand that $95/hr isn't bad, but one of his employees told me $45 for diagnostics, then he turned around and said $95 for diagnostics. Big difference, more than double.

I think what I'll do is have him throw the car back together and just pay him the $45 for the diagnosis, and do everything myself.

P.S. COramprat, I might take you up on that offer...lol

topless98gt:

Holy cow, you're in Toronto and you haven't heard of Zellers, lol?? Zellers is a big discount retailer in Canada. If you know Target in the U.S., then Zellers is kinda/sorta the same thing up north. Shop there and you'll have more loot for car parts.

Good luck with the diagnosis and I hope you get the first price.

Chris

I'm honestly going to have to say nevermind. But thank you very much for the wonderful offer. I should have gotten back to you sooner today.

They did the work without my consent, so I am going to put $400 in their face and say, "Here, take this or undo the work and give me my car back and take $0." I wanted to get the part from you and install it myself, but when I called them today, they said that they had finished the work already.

Doubt that's a wise thing to do, but I didn't authorize them to charge $95 for the diagnostics, rather $45. Also, I called around to 4 dealers in the area and they all quoted retail the same exact price of $256.72. That's more than a $100 difference!!!

So I think they are getting a fake receipt together to show me that they paid $364.80 for it. I think it'd be funny if they paid tax on it, then turn around and try to charge me tax for it...:nonono:

Definitely never take your car to 11 & 11 Auto in Toronto (1334 Dundas St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada). They perform unauthorized work, don't stick to their prices, and mark up their parts 50% from retail price.

topless98gt:

Holy cow, you're in Toronto and you haven't heard of Zellers, lol?? Zellers is a big discount retailer in Canada. If you know Target in the U.S., then Zellers is kinda/sorta the same thing up north. Shop there and you'll have more loot for car parts.

Good luck with the diagnosis and I hope you get the first price.

Chris
I've only been in Toronto for 2 months, at most. The nearest Zellers is about 20 minutes away, so I'll definitely have to check that out. Thank you very much!

I'm honestly going to have to say nevermind. But thank you very much for the wonderful offer. I should have gotten back to you sooner today.

They did the work without my consent, so I am going to put $400 in their face and say, "Here, take this or undo the work and give me my car back and take $0." I wanted to get the part from you and install it myself, but when I called them today, they said that they had finished the work already.

Doubt that's a wise thing to do, but I didn't authorize them to charge $95 for the diagnostics, rather $45. Also, I called around to 4 dealers in the area and they all quoted retail the same exact price of $256.72. That's more than a $100 difference!!!

So I think they are getting a fake receipt together to show me that they paid $364.80 for it. I think it'd be funny if they paid tax on it, then turn around and try to charge me tax for it...:nonono:

Definitely never take your car to 11 & 11 Auto in Toronto (1334 Dundas St W, Toronto, Ontario, Canada). They perform unauthorized work, don't stick to their prices, and mark up their parts 50% from retail price.

If you did not authorize any work to your vehicle then you don't have to pay anything for other then what you wanted done. If they took the part out and replaced it then that's on them. They need to take the new one out and put the old back in if you do not want to pay what their charging.

The $100 difference your seeing in price is the lovely thing called "Mark up." Shops have to make some money too by usually marking up the prices of parts. If you have not got your car already then you need to just pay the $95 fee and be done with it and fix it yourself. If you gave them the go ahead to fix/repair or pay them for what they've done then :Zip2: and be done with it cause it's not going to do any good to run a places name into the ground if your not willing to stand up for yourself and let a shop push you around.

OK, here's the verdict:

Late Friday we both argued on the phone for a bit, then I went up there to pick the car up. We talked it over a bit and came to an agreement. I felt a little worried about the car as if maybe they had done something, but in the end I paid $400 cash, $256.72 for the part (the price I got from 4 dealers in the area) and $143.28 in taxes and labor. They gave me the option of paying $45 for the diagnosis and them pulling the part, or paying $400 cash to take the car home that night. I figured the $400 was best for both of us.

I didn't mind buying the part for the price it REALLY was, and they knocked off the shipping costs since I didn't authorize them to order the part. After driving the car for a couple days now, nothing APPEARS to be wrong, and there's no major leak. There is definitely a minor leak because I've had to put 1.5L of coolant in to fill it up.

On a side note, what are some things that they could have done to hurt my car that won't show right away? Thanks for all of the support/feedback, guys.

:SNSign: