Fed up with crappy 4.6

BanginStang97GT

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2001
Jersey
My bolt on 97GT went a best of 14.4 with bolt ons and 18'' rims. I went 14.1 w/a 2.5 60ft with my new s-trim with the 10lb pulley. I also purchased a steeda boost pipe to get a little more out of it. I know my 60ft sucked but I still dont think its a damn 12 second car yet w/those times I'm trapping 103 and thats only like 8mph more than I trapped without the blower. I'm really pissed off right now and i dont know what to do. I will give the car 1 more shot w/my et streets on it and if it doesnt get at least a 12.99 I'm ditching it. I have so much money into this thing and its still a turd. Any comments -Kev-

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe Im missing it or you just dont have it listed, but do you have any exhaust mods? If you're running stock exhaust then you really hampering the blower. You car is easily a 12 second car, as someone mentioned. Something isnt right. Have you had the car dynoed? What is it putting out? Did you install the blower yourself?

No dyno tune, mac h-pipe o/r into flowmaster 2.5'' catback. I'm going to try it with the slicks on thursday if it doesn't rain. But looking at the slip its not very promising that even a low 13 is possible. There aren't any dyno tune places anywhere near me. Who has good custom mail order chips? Maybe that will help. Thanks for the comments guys.

I have complete suspension mods, upper/lower lca's, sub frames, springs. The car is pretty much modded throughout. Here are the mods that I remembered doing for the most part. Shifter,gears,rear,d/s,exhaust,suspension,seat delete, battery relocated to trunk, spare/carpet in trunk removed, i had underdrive pullies on but they were removed when the s-trim went on. I know its not a race car but I think it should be a decent street performer for the most part yah know? Also the blower was installed by me and even though it ran perfect I had one of the mechanics and my local speedshop go through it one afternoon and make sure everything is ok. So I can rule out human error, lol I know your thinking I can't drive but I mustered a low 14 on 18'' rims with a 1.9 60ft before so I do have an idea of what im doing. I know im not a pro but im not a beginner either. Keep the ideas comming.

**Total $ In mods- $9,426 money well spent.**

You've come a LONG way to get where you are - don't give up now! Do your research and find a shop that can help you get 'er tuned before taking it back to the track. When you do go back with sticky tires, you'll have to make a few passes to get the feel of the track, etc. Your 60 foot time got worse after the blower - an indication of how this extra horsepower has impaired your ability to hook up. If you can shave that 60 foot time down to at least a 2.0 and eliminate tire spin on the upshifts, you'll have the timeslip you're looking for.

Keep the faith!

BanginStang97GT said:
No dyno tune, mac h-pipe o/r into flowmaster 2.5'' catback. I'm going to try it with the slicks on thursday if it doesn't rain. But looking at the slip its not very promising that even a low 13 is possible. There aren't any dyno tune places anywhere near me. Who has good custom mail order chips? Maybe that will help. Thanks for the comments guys.

No tune? How bout a chip? Before you get on it again I would find some way to get a tune done or a chip from Vortech or Superchips. Nothing like blowing up your investment.

make whatever drive is necessary, but get your car on a dyno & have it tuned :nice: the stuff that they give you with a tuner kit is pigged out just to be safe. i know KenB had a guy come in for a dyno after he had a s/c put on (procharger i believe) & the guy only got some very miniscule amount of rwhp from the s/c :eek: cause the chip they (they being the s/c co.) gave him was a joke. kenB dyno tuned it & they got him the numbers it "should" have put out the whole time. i know i prolly butchered the story, so if you have questions about the afore mentioned story shoot him a PM, or get ahold of him over at MD :nice:

for a better 60' time get rid of the bling rims and throw on some 15" weld drag lights and some bfgs, just for the track.

and definately get a dyno tune, it sounds crazy but who really knows if your getting any gains from the setup as it is.

MineralgreyGT01 said:
No tune? How bout a chip? Before you get on it again I would find some way to get a tune done or a chip from Vortech or Superchips. Nothing like blowing up your investment.

Definitely tune.....

I paid diablo 125.00 to email me their "tune" with given mods. **wasted**

My dyno tune kicked my diablo-tuned blown V2 2002 an additional 60 Rwhp

With all that and no tune, your car will never see 12s. You are maybe pushing 260 or 270 to the tires.

Get a tune and take off the 18s inch rims. Those will always kill your 60ft times.

BanginStang97GT said:
lol it's at $16,000+ now, that was last year. I don't wanna give up i was just venting my frustration earlier but im still dissapointed. If you are interested in seeing pics of the car you can see some recent ones here- http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/654786/6
click on page 6

Where do you live at in Jersey? I live in Central Jersey. Maybe we could get together at the track and I'll see if I can help ya out at all. I agree with the other guys, get it tuned. I know of a guy up in North Jersey who does that, I'll get his phone number and get back to you.

Seriously look at getting a tune. I have a buddy with a 98 camaro z28 with a set of headers, cams full exhaust basically and pulleys as well. No tune and the car runs like crap. With all those mods you have I am suprised you car isn't dying at idle w/out a tune. All I know from doing a lot of reading on s/c vehicles is that its pointless to run s/c if it aint tuned right. Tuning is more important than the actual install LOL! Seriously though find a dyno and get the car tuned you are losing a lot of potenetial in your stang w/out it.