FedEx brought my intake! Ever seen one of these?

• Sponsors (?)

I saw a guy who had one at a one time car club meeting. He pulled in with no hood and that intake. reason for no hood is he didn't have the roush hood or something and he tried to make it work somehow with the stock hood but didn't have the clearance and would block the induction and wouldn't get enough air. basically shut things down real quick. ran fine with no hood though. He may have been trying to customize something though not sure on the hole story just remember it wouldn't run with a hood. Not sure I would have delt with the hassle but I guess it's fun being different :)

I think it looks nice but I remember back in 94 or 95 reading an article about it and it dynoed at quite a bit less than the advertised hp. Let us know how it works out.

It certainly is a rare piece.

VibrantRedGT said:
Gorgeous! I always loved that intake. Next time I'm heading North on business I'm stopping by to see it.

If I'm in town, I'd be more than happy than to give you the tour. :) Drop me a line if you're interested.

lager94GT said:
I think it looks nice but I remember back in 94 or 95 reading an article about it and it dynoed at quite a bit less than the advertised hp. Let us know how it works out.

It certainly is a rare piece.

You're probably thinking of an article in C&D back in 96. They ran this intake with box stock GT40 aluminum heads and the stock cam. They only managed a 14.0 and 280 rwhp. Not too impressive I admit. But knowing that C&D drivers can't drive worth a damn and their choice of engine mods, makes me reconsider.

Yes, Roush claims 47 hp stock and 99 hp with the GT40s. Probably a bit inflated to be sure. But regardless, when you see guys out there making 405-415 with a AFR185/347/cam, it starts to look pretty damn good. And looking at the long, symmetrical runners, I just know that this intake would work amazing with a forced induction setup.

We could go around this all day, but it really doesn't matter. There's no doubt in my mind that Roush's numbers are a bit inflated. But I feel that with a properly built combo, this intake is going to scream. I'll either have a smile or egg on my face come dyno time.

even if it doesn't perform like they say, at least you'll have a very rare intake and to some, that is better to have. good luck with it. we'll be waiting for dyno graphs and pics.

I bought one of those a while back. I got it for $700 shipped, but it did not have the computer, injectors, valve cover, pulleys and throttle body.

Now I'm getting together a long block to put it on.

I have a set of GT40p's that I'm going to port. They will be bead blasted and all ready for grinding in a few days. I'm going to add big, light weight valves, beehive springs and titanium retainers, so they should rev really well. I'll see how well that works, and if it's a disaster, I'll step up to some nice aluminum heads.

I just bought a set of $1,000 fully CNC profiled forged I-beam rods for $500, and I bought a $1,000 Trick Flow forged 331 crank from summit $511 shipped.

http://store.summitracing.com/showclearance.asp?d=1&s=8&c=1

Summit said they have plenty left, so get them while they last. They also list a 347 crank, but I didn't ask about it.

My rods and crank are rated for 1000 hp, so now I need to find a 1000 hp block. I will be calling world products tomorrow about their new WindsorR block. It's suposed to be available by the end of April and cheaper than a Dart block, and it sounds better than an R302, I hope it will work for me.

With all of this 1,000 hp stuff I guess I'm going to have to add a hidden fogger system under the intake to make it live up to it's potential.

By the way, 280 hp isn't that far off of their claim. If you use the 15% power train loss, that 100 hp turns in to 85, subtract that from 280 and you have 195 hp. That is pretty close to what we see in a stock 5.0 Any way, the real bottle neck becomes the valve train. This thing was made to rev, if you have seen the ports, you know what I mean. If your valve springs are starting to float at 6500, you are loosing power.

baglock1 said:
You're probably thinking of an article in C&D back in 96. They ran this intake with box stock GT40 aluminum heads and the stock cam. They only managed a 14.0 and 280 rwhp. Not too impressive I admit. But knowing that C&D drivers can't drive worth a damn and their choice of engine mods, makes me reconsider.

That's right!! That was the article I was thinking of. I agree about C&D not be so good at squeezing the best ET out of a car. In that case, the intake should be great.

You can see the MAF in the last picture.

It's on top of the intake in the middle, facing straight back.

It is connected to the throttle body with a very short section of 3" rubber hose and the flange end bolts directly in to the side of the air filter box.

You and I have similar plans, 331 Cobra. I'm putting the intake on an Dart aluminum block 331 with AFR 185s and a turbo setup. The crank from summit looks like a deal. I may have to pick up one... and a spare.

I'm going to have the rotating assembly balanced to 10K and plan on running it to 8K at the track. The ultimate goal (as mentioned in another thread) is around 750 rwhp on pump gas. I don't think this is going to be too difficult given boosted high rpm.

And you're right about the ports being setup for rpm. For those who don't know, you can literally drop a golf ball down the ports of the lower intake.

With a decent turbo, you shouldn't have to turn more than 6,000 to make 750hp.

I want to make peak power around 7,000 and use a hydraulic roller valve train that will start to float at about 7,500.

I'm expecting at least 450 hp at the crank with the displacement I'm going to run (bigger that 331). Hopefully, I'll be able to get 400 to the wheels. Vipers beware!

I have always wanted a Roush intake, but as said they are rare and expensive. Also it seemed when I tried to find info people would say it was not worth it and I had a hard time finding real numbers other than the advertised Roush numbers. I think you got one hell of a deal I have seen the intake alone without the t/b or any of the other extras you got go for $800. Good luck and let us know when you have a before/after comparison.

94_302 said:
I have always wanted a Roush intake, but as said they are rare and expensive. Also it seemed when I tried to find info people would say it was not worth it and I had a hard time finding real numbers other than the advertised Roush numbers.

Fortunately, I like doing things the hard way. So when people tell me that it'll be a pain to make it work with forced induction, I really set my feet and focus on doing it. Not only do I get the sense of satisfaction about taking the difficult path, but I get a unique creation too. Fortunately, the people who usually wind up dropping the money for this 'take usually like doing unique projects. That means there's a small source of info out there already.

But yes, the lack of credible information out there is frustrating. One of the first things that I'll be doing is going to Powered by Ford in Orlando and have this thing put on the flowbench. I want some hard empirical numbers I can share with the community.

It should be easy to set up for a turbo. If I were doing it, I would use a cowl mounted water to air intercooler and run a tube straight out of the cowl in to the MAF.

The only problem I can think of is the fuel rails. They are a stock style setup and I would not trust them at 750 hp. You will need a set of custom billet rails to feed that beast. The bad news is that one fuel injector faces the wrong way, so it relies on some deflection in the injector gaskets when you install the rails.

Please do share those flow numbers.

Wow, in 1996 I won one of those setups in a raffle at a Ford car show here in Vegas. It was for a 94-95 car and at the time I had a 93 Cobra. Luckily another guy had won a complete Vortech S/C setup and he already had a Powerdyne on his 94 GT. We ended up trading prizes after the show. MM&FF installed that setup on an old project car (The Horse With No Name). It had a single turbo kit on it too. They picked up something like 40-50rwhp with a little tuning. Cool looking kit, definately a conversation piece.