Feelin' That Heat

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Hey fellas ever since the ole 95 has been out of the paint booth she seems to be generating more heat in the cabin than before. I dunno if its due to the mach 1 chin spoiler or the hood insulation that they made me get. Car currently doesn't have a/c and the heat is just seeping through the vents She's not overheating but the gauge is running right about middle. Any ideas how to drop the temp a little without spending an arm and a leg? I don't really see a new hood in the near future, should've did it when it was getting painted but that ship has probably sailed. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make the dinky little hood vents functional as to let more heat escape?

mike

• Sponsors (?)

It's really funny you posted this. I just started painting a few of the trim pieces on my car black and I was just thinking the exact same thing when I realized these cars have fiberglass hoods. I was thinking if you cut some vents through the inner layer in the back of the hood that the side vents might create enough vacuum to actually pull some heat out of the engine bay. The air being forced in through the radiator would surely help push air out of these vents also. It may be worth a shot?

If I were to do it I think I would find a nice pic-a-part junk yard and go salvage some type of grille to put in the opening for a factory look.

If I were to do it I think I would find a nice pic-a-part junk yard and go salvage some type of grille to put in the opening for a factory look.[/quote] Off the top of my head I cant remember, does the insulation cover where the "vents" are? I had the insulation off for a good while b/c at one time she was sitting for a good minute and rats made a nest of it. Got the motor rebuilt 2 yrs ago and just had er painted couple months ago and the painter insisted that I get the insulation. No one makes an aftermarket oem replica that I could find and had to get one from a salvae, it doesn't look all that great, not bad but not great. I do remember that behind the vents there is a hole a little big bigger than a quarter on the underneath side of the hood. But yeah I was wondering if cutting the underneath bigger would work or would the hood go all to crap or even if it didn't would it be worth the hassle??? If the "vents" on the outside of the hood were larger like the cobras it might be more functional if you cut the underside out but I dunno if our lil nostrils are big enough to make a difference. I did see on some forum where someone did the same thing we're talking to a cobra but I just don't know if our "nose holes" are big enough to justify hacking away.

One more reply to my own thread: If I got a larger radiator air deflector do you think it would overcome the negative affects caused by mach 1 chin? If it did work to direct more air into radiator again I would probably fighting road imperfections since it'd be longer and my car is lowered a tad...

You're really bumming me out about the chin spoiler because I was going to get one. Isn't it easy to take off? If so I would remove it and see if it helps. If that doesn't do it you know it's the hood liner doing it. I hate to say, but an extractor hood sounds like your only option. I don't know what else you could do.

I looked at my hood a little better. The liner covers the rear area of the hood. You would have to remove it to add a vent back there. But there is a channel that goes from the vents that would direct the air out. I am just not sure how much it would help unless you put a good size vent in there.

Were you running without a hood liner before? When you put an aftermarket hood on you don't use the liner. I am wondering why the paint guy told you that you need one? It's more to quiet the engine than anything. I would just get rid of it.

Well actually.... Get this. So I went and gave the ole gal a look and the radiator air deflector isn't on there anymore. I made a new thread"so I'm a dork" but the gist of the thread could I should I add a new one, would the chin spoiler interfere w mounting and would it interfere w/ air going in rad anyway??? Yeah I was running w/ out insulation for awhile. Rats chewed the original up so I took off and painted the underside of hood. THe painter insisted on me buying a new one when he painted, I assume to ensure is warranty