FFW True Street

94TURBO5 O

Mar 14, 2004
VA
I raced yesterday in the TS class and got my 1st full 1/4 pass.
I ran 3 time s and hit 12's each time.
1st 12.124 @ 119.72 w/2.00 60
2nd 12.725 @ 118.76 w/2.28 60
3rd 12.097 @ 117.83 w/1.97 60
Help me understand these.
Why would my best time be the slowest mph?
If I ran a 1.7 60 do you think 11.80 would be possible.
I'm happy though, b/c everyone thought it would grenade @ 16psi and it held like a champ for a stock block, bottom and 165K on the factory valve srings. :D
This car has to go 10's this year even if it's just a 10.99, I'm gonna squeeze it out of a stock block.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats JR!!! There is an old saying that the harder you hook the less you'll trap in terms of speed... that has NEVER held true for me as I have always had a better MPH the harder I hooked. WTG man, that is still very impressive for a vert with stock heads!

VibrantRedGT said:
I ran a 120MPH trap but the time was like 13.0. Next run was a 12.4 at 116MPH. Usually when you hook it up the MPH drops off a bit. When you can run consistent times the MPH will be around the same.

Only way that can hold true is if you launch the car the same way and do everything else exactly the same. SO lets say he launchs at 2k rpms, he may trap 118 or so, but if he can launch with the cars full potential, lets say 5k rpms and hook hard, his trap speed will jump dramatically, and down will go the 60ft.

JR, good starter runs, which tires you on?

Hey man don't laugh but I was on the Hossier quick time pro's. I was doing 1st gear burnouts and a few peeps said to dump at 4K in 2nd and they will smoke. I didn't get any smoke on the 1st 2 burnouts. The 3rd one in 2nd gear was a serious smoker but I launched it too light and it hooked like a mofo and almost bogged on me. I have in car video of that run and as soon as I pull it of the cam I'll post it up.
True on the launches b/c they weren't consistent, I was all over the place trying to test these tires.

Zach
Stockers all the way untouched. I want to get the time out of these stock e7's. I may waste the time and port and polish a set I have here on the other motor. I have 3 stock 5.0 long blocks in my garage now waiting for punishment/boost once this one to blows but it is an amazing motor, the 5.0. :nice:
I'm thinking 20-22psi with a 50 shot for spool and some methanol after 6psi should get me back into the 11's.
I put in some 3:27's and get rid of these 3:73's I'll be straight. Then some slicks and good 60's I'll see 10.99 on a stock motor this year. :D
I should have got a turbo in the begining.
Thanks to all you turbo guys that convinced me of the power! :flag:

yeah with a better 60 ft you should get in to the 11's i also agree if you spin your mph goes up if you hook the et drops and so does mph, have you tried holding the ebrake on to load the turbo ??

Here are my slips. I don't have a scanner so I just took a pic of them.

ffwtimeslips.jpg

JR, from those time slips I think something is up with your car. It could be a number of things but you gained 3mph at the 1/8th on the last run, but it fell off at the top. There are a number of things to cause this ie: different shift point on the 3-4, running out of gear, clutch slippage, boost blead off, etc. Keep an eye on your 1/8th MPH and how it matches your 1/4mph and see what makes it either better or worse... in this case it WASN'T from a better 60' IMO.

so what did the car run before, with the vortech?

I bet if you could launch the sucker hard from ~5k rpms and hook(1.7 and lower 60ft) you would see 121mph the way it sits now.. More then enough to see mid 11's.. Thats where my 03 is, and i bet we are close in car weight, did you weigh yours by any chance?

Killercanary said:
JR, from those time slips I think something is up with your car. It could be a number of things but you gained 3mph at the 1/8th on the last run, but it fell off at the top. There are a number of things to cause this ie: different shift point on the 3-4, running out of gear, clutch slippage, boost blead off, etc. Keep an eye on your 1/8th MPH and how it matches your 1/4mph and see what makes it either better or worse... in this case it WASN'T from a better 60' IMO.

Maybe im looking at the wrong thing, but it says his 1/8 MPH was 90.65 on the left slip, and 89.26 on the right slip. The 1/4 mphs were 119.74 and 118.26..

119.74 - 90.65 = 29.09
118.26 - 89.26 = 29.00

Looks to me like he was very consistant in his shift points... Maybe you misread the right slip?

I'm running the 26x11.50x15's
Paul my boost is bleeding off by about 2 psi at full boost! Good call on that and I was running it 18psi bleeding off to about 16. I think it's the small leak I hear in my header gasket. I'm was at about 54-5500 in 4th at the top with these damn 3:73's. I need to put in the 3:27's but I just can't see dropping out this good rear until it goes. I have another here with 3:27's in it and I might have to put it on soon b/c I'm gonna try slicks on it Wednesday night at a 1/8 track here. I ran 11.80 with the S-Trim but that was with the methanol injection and more timing than I have with this set-up. Sucks that I don't have that slip to compare to b/c my daughter was 8 months old and slobbbered/drooled/ate 1/2 of it. FYI: When you have kids make sure you keep everything you want to keep, in a safe locked and far way from them or it's toast.