Fiberglass Gas tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taranis

Nov 12, 2004
Austin, Texas
Would there be any reason why I couldn't fabricate a fiberglass gas tank? It seems to be popular in the marine and motorcycle crowds. I was thinking about using a stock tank as a template but adding a rear sump and baffles on the inside to control the sloshing.

Let me know if this is a horrid idea.

• Sponsors (?)

Would there be any reason why I couldn't fabricate a fiberglass gas tank? It seems to be popular in the marine and motorcycle crowds. I was thinking about using a stock tank as a template but adding a rear sump and baffles on the inside to control the sloshing.

Let me know if this is a horrid idea.

okay, it's a horrid idea!!!! fiberglass isn't a sturdy enough substance to carry the weight of 20 gallons of fuel and the marine tanks also include a rubber liner as well.

Just realized that this is in the wrong forum. That's what I get for using the 'back' button.

Thanks bnickel, that's what I was wanting to know. I thought that there must have been a reason that I wasn't finding them on the internet...

I thought about forming the gas tang out of thin strips of metal to give it shape and some rigidity and then covering the rest with fiberglass to make it leak resistant. But I've abandoned that idea. I'll probably go with a fuel cell when I get the cash.

Actually, you can't get a '62-'64 Fairlane gas tank any more, so Crites sells them in fiberglass. That being said, I wouldn't want one.

for a race only application and with a bladder i'd use it but only on the strip, NOT the street. i'd also inspect it regularly too.

edit: my jeep has a plastic gas tank and i feel it' perfectly safe but it's not brittle like 'glass is.

Problems with fiberglass tanks are cropping up in the boating community.

The ethenol in gas now is disolving the resins in fiberglass tanks causing catastrophic engine failures. The resins are coating the valves aside from other problems.

No fiberglass please!:eek:

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.