Fidanza lightweight flywheel anyone run one?

89Stang

Founding Member
Jul 7, 1999
Savannah GA
Anyone ever run one of these? We put one in our 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 5 spd and man I love it. But I am unsure how one would feel in a mildly cammed 302. So was curious if anyone has ran one. The car will be needing a clutch soon anyway so it seems like a decent time to be doing one. So for those who have run one hows it feel and what do you think about it?

In our eclipse it made a nice difference. I ran a buddies 99 GT 5 spd. Before with the stock flywheel he would pull me through the whole rpm band. With the flywheel and a cold air intake he pulls me till about 3000 rpm then I will very slowly edge up on him. It takes hp to spin the heavier flywheel. So this made sense to me. But post up what you know and opinions are welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

I run a fidanza aluminum flywheel in my car. I can not say what I gained b/c I did a 347 at the same time. This will be the last flywheel you ever need as they come with 28 and 50oz balance weights and a little bolt for 0 balance. Its just an awesome piece. If you have the money go for it as its a perfect time to swap.

I run one. Its a very nice piece. So far I'm happy with it. I did lose a little low end, but it makes up for it in the upper rpms. People always bash the aluminum flywheels for street use even though they have never run one. I decided to take a chance and I am happy with it. I drive my car daily on the street and its fine, even with a Spec stg 3 clutch.

Yeah on our eclipse it made it a bit harder launching and the car no longer spins through 1st. But man does that needle swing a lot quicker. It also seems to take a bit more slipping and slightly more throttle to be smooth (still get going without going above 1500 rpms slipping) But I was curious how this flywheel might be with a B303 or F303 cam.
But good responses defintely still feeling good about getting one.

Anyone else?

I have an e-cam and so far its been fine. It is a little tough to get moving when trying to start off slow but you will get use to it. I would def. go aluminum over steel. The rpms seem to climb much quicker. It seriously feels like I ganged 15rwhp 4000rpm----->

My engine isnt in a Fox body anymore, but I got a Fidanza when it went in my '68. Its not bad on the street and my car still has 3.00 gears and will do around 40 in 1st. You just slip it a little more and or give it more gas. It will still take off on level ground at idle, though. Crane 2031 cam with an advertised power band of 2000-5500.

People still say aluminum flywheels slow you down and all that but it sure doesnt seem to hurt 03-04 Cobras! They have them from the factory. There were some threads about this on the Corral and alot of the aluminum flywheel slowing you down theroys were disproven.

When I ordered my stroker kit at first I went with a steel flywheel, but then changed over to an alumimum before it was too late. A heavier flyweel is better for launch, but that is about it. Steel will also take heat better. Rotational weight is probally the worse kind.

Yea, the thread basically said once the car was in motion any negatives on the launch would be overcome the rest of the time you are racing.

My friend pulled a 1.52 60 ft in his 03 Cobra with an aluminum flywheel. He drove another guy in the club's 04 Cobra with a KB 2.4, pulled a 1.60 60 ft on 17 inch BFG DR's.

yeah I figured since the thing needed a clutch soon anyway that doing a nice flywheel would be a good idea.

I am curious about one last thing that doesnt really matter.

For those people with cams that added the flywheel after their cam was the cam anymore pronounced? Our eclipse we obviously would be able to tell. But I was curious on a cammed mustang.

90mustangGT said:
When I ordered my stroker kit at first I went with a steel flywheel, but then changed over to an alumimum before it was too late. A heavier flyweel is better for launch, but that is about it. Steel will also take heat better. Rotational weight is probally the worse kind.

:nice:

Jason, you package will arrive next week ;)

89Stang said:
For those people with cams that added the flywheel after their cam was the cam anymore pronounced? Our eclipse we obviously would be able to tell. But I was curious on a cammed mustang.

If it did, it was only slight. It might make more of a difference on a smaller engine where the flywheel accounts for more of the total rotating weight.

If your willing to deal with the little quirks (listed in the thread) of a AFW then get it...

I like billet steel myself.

Oh, and a 03/04 Cobra's times have very little to do with what flywheel it has. Plus the flywheel is bigger (whether it be al. or steel.) More mass. They are just some quickly setup cars.

5spd GT said:
If your willing to deal with the little quirks (listed in the thread) of a AFW then get it...

I like billet steel myself.

Oh, and a 03/04 Cobra's times have very little to do with what flywheel it has. Plus the flywheel is bigger (whether it be al. or steel.) More mass. They are just some quickly setup cars.

How much bigger? 11.5? Some of them are running the Fidanza after they grenade the stocker.

5spd GT said:

And IMO most of that quickness is wasted on a drag strip. Like dragging a Roush or Saleen....bleh. Just a little off topic....:p

65ShelbyClone said:
And IMO most of that quickness is wasted on a drag strip. Like dragging a Roush or Saleen....bleh. Just a little off topic....:p

Funny, my friend's 03 Cobra does 1.5 60 fts on the bottle and has run in the 10's with the eaton and no nitrous on the stock IRS. Then again it would be faster with a solid axle.