Filler neck/Gas tank leak: Chime in this is important

• Sponsors (?)

Usually it's not the tube that fails man, it's usually the grommet in place where the neck and tank meet. You sure it's the neck and not the rubber grommet?

As for ford parts, latemodelrestoration.com has a bunch of oem parts, as do most of stangnet's site sponsors listed above the forums page. If its the rubber grommet though, it won't get much cheaper than at a Ford dealer, plus you don't want to cheap out on something so crucial to safety. When I replaced mine, I was squirting out gas onto my hot exhaust pipes everytime I turned a corner lol good luck man.

Hey Thanks!
I'm sure. It's dry at the grommet. So I had her to pour a little gas in while I was under the car. The drip came from above, under the plastic conduit that covers the neck tube. You can mash on the conduit and it feels and sounds rusty and gritty under there. I read in a post earlier fram a guy who had the same problem. I would like to just replace all of the neck and grommet while I have the tank dropped. "Just hope it cures that cures that neon-everpresent-"SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light. aaaagh
Now that I've this site I'm sure I'll find the parts with a sponsor. Thanks again....

yea no problem, good thinking on replacing both while the tank is down. It's really not a big deal to drop the tank, but it sure takes alot of time if you're not prepared. I had to disconnect some lines (fuel lines i damn near broke because I didn't realize how little slack they had lol) and I dropped it by using a wooden plank across a floor jack and having a buddy stabilize it as I removed the filler tube and grommet.

Followup question

Hello everyone. This is obviously a common problem, one I have with my 2000 Mustang. In my case, the filler neck rotted right out because of the plastic shield around it that seems to retain moisture right next to the pipe. Several people in this thread have asked about a source for a replacement. I found one at latemodelrestoration.com for 149.00 and 18.00 for the grommet. Does anyone know of any other sources for this part? I've been threading a tube down to the tank to put gas in it until I replace the part, but that is growing old fast! If anyone knows of a place to buy the filler neck cheaper I'd appreciate it. Spring is here and it's time to get my Mustang back on the road!

Interesting... the grommet failed on mine a few weeks ago and dumped gas all over the place at the gas station (and left a trail behind me whenever the gas in the tank sloshed to the passenger side!).

My older style filler neck (mine's a '96) was in great shape so I only needed to replace the grommet. If you only need the grommet, check your Ford dealer - the price was higher but it was cheaper than any of the online places once you factor in shipping and they had it on hand so no waiting.

Can't help you with the filler neck though. Sounds like the plastic shield may have been one of those good ideas that went bad - what would be the consequence of removing the shield for cars that are equipped with it?

Could filler neck gasket trigger the check engine code PO453 which says; Evaporation emission system pressure sensor/switch high input on my mustang, 03. I tried replacing the fuel cap which didn't do a darn thing, now I'm thinking the filler neck gasket is the problem. Help is appreciated, Thanks guys.

I did mine , same thing, looks like the rubber failed and rusted out my entire filler tube. I actually didn't know util I got pulled over and the cop warned me about it. I had just just finished filling up.

Anyhow, I replaced the whole kit and didn't drop the tank. I did however do it on t lift and not on my back so if its a driveway fix, do drop the tank (maybe think about your fuel pump at the same time.)

The hardest part was getting the tube in. Some pushing and it got in after a few minutes.

Cost me 128 complete at a garage price.

Thank You Everyone

Another Stangnet.com success story. As my initial post indicated, I've searched high and low for a replacement fuel filler neck because mine had rusted out. (poor design and upstate New York weather) I joined stangnet, posted my question and within 24 hours I had a reply from wmburns in Texas that he had a spare part he had taken off his 2000 Mustang GT. I paid him via paypal and he sent it to me, and this weekend I replaced it in my driveway. Not a simple job, but one that can be done by the do-it-yourselfer. I got it fixed on Saturday and I'm back on the road. Now a part of wmburns's 2000 GT from Texas gave new life to my 2000 V6 in New York. Thanks everyone for your advice and help and a big THANK YOU to wmburns for all of your help!

I had the same issue last year. I contacted a local Mustang store here in KC and they found a used neck for like $50. I was going to post photos of the old one but the metal was so thin that it folded up on me. I did have an issue with the seal where it passed through the trunk floor. It is all torn up now so I need to find something to smear/fill it up with to seal off the trunk from fumes.

Grommet fell apart... Took it off and attempted putting new in and with help of 3 others got it in still had to cut it and apparently once cutting the grommet you expose the inside of it the gas deteriorates the grommet so took it back out...(never dropped tank...) So boyfriends 98 mustang has been running without a grommet for a while which means yes spilling gas every turn... But anyways, main question im trying to get to the bottom of is the car hesitates to crank 4-7 seconds and occasionally dies, but recanks and its up and going asap. Once driven and shut off, recrank and it starts perfectly. Ive been on other forums and posts about crank issues and this is something new I thought of that I have no idea whether or not itd be an issue. Thought maybe fuel filter may suck in air with gas causing issues but idk... Insight please!? Replaced starter, altenator, fuel filter a while back, radiator, coil pak not too long ago. Its not an engine misfire because I know what that feels like and this is just just a crank hesitation, maybe ignition?