Filling Tag Mount Holes In Bumper Cover

tca7291

I can see your wieners.
5 Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Just had a question as the title states, my new fox came from Va. where they had a front tag on it, and I live in Nc where we don't have front tags. I was wondering if any of you guys have successfully filled the holes in the bumper cover under the "Mustang" logo, in a way that lasts. I was thinking about some kind of body filler, but I would think that it would just crack and or pop out of the holes given the urethane bumper cover. Any ideas?? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You would need to use a flexible urethane filler. They sell it commercially in a 2-part epoxy tube. The only issue with that is that you will have to sand the filler down and then probably repaint.

I saw a thread a while ago where some guy used body colored plugs. Almost like little flat buttons that snapped into the holes. Looked really nice. I think he bought them somewhere. They were pricey considering what they were, but definitely nice looking.

Edit: Here you go...

http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

I agree that some sort of plug is probably the best solution. If you don't want to spring for expensive plugs, you might consider buying some generic body plugs from Lowes or HD. You could sand it down, prime and paint it with a color match black paint. It's such a small item that if it's not exactly right many people probably wouldn't even notice.

Thanks for the info guys! I need to repaint anyway, the paint around the holes is all messed up anyway. RacEoHolic330, have you had any experience with the urethane filler? I'm just still a little worried about it popping out sense the surface area is so small. Thanks again, and the plugs is also a great idea that I might go with anyway.:nice:

They make a 2 part urethane bumper repair that looks like JB Weld. You mix it up (kinda green) and fill it in the holes. Then sand it like filler. It will stay. It gets hot as hell and smells like burnt hair when it is activated. I sand the bumper smooth first and or cut the humps from the screws off with a razor blade first. I used it several times to fix Fox bumpers.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info guys! I need to repaint anyway, the paint around the holes is all messed up anyway. RacEoHolic330, have you had any experience with the urethane filler? I'm just still a little worried about it popping out sense the surface area is so small. Thanks again, and the plugs is also a great idea that I might go with anyway.:nice:

You won't have to worry about it separating and popping out. It's very sticky stuff and bonds almost chemically to the urethane as it cures. If you fill those holes, add enough filler to feather it out on the backside of the bumper. That will give it it more surface area on the backside to bond to.

Reactions: 1 user